Motherboard problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Oct 5, 2008.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am working on a generic computer which appears to have a damaged motherboard? When you switch the computer on the cpu and psu fans work, but it does not perform the POST or boot into Windows. There are no POST bleeps or signals to the monitor. I have tried inserting a VGA card, instead of using the onboard graphics card and have connected the monitor to it, but nothing appears on the screen in both these scenarios.

Any ideas what else I can try? Many thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

How old is the board?

Take a look at the capacitors - if you see one or more that are bubbled - fubared board.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. postman

postman Byte Poster

You should check the PSU to make sure it's working properly.

WIP: A+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Can you get into the BIOS ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

it could be anything. Do you have another board to try? A knackerd CPU, faulty memory or broken motehrboard caould all cause problems like this. You need to be able to swap components out with known good ones to fidn what is faulty and whats ok.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, assuming you have checked the RAM by swapping it out.. disconnected all unnecessary peripheral devices, such as HDDs, DVD and floppy drive and any cards (modems etc) and have tested the PSU.. you are left with the CPU and motherboard. you could try re-seating the CPU and or replacing it but to me it sounds like the board has failed. it happens. Sometimes you can see the capacitors bulging as Zeb said but other times the board can look perfectly ok.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)