Motherboard or cpu fail?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macleod2024, Dec 13, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I meant to say rosewill power supplies atleast they are not as bad as huntkey which have a tendancy to explode when pushed.

I'm not trying to force the issue on it being the power supply but unless you can prove it isn't then it could be. Like I said just because lights and fans come on doesn't mean it works properly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would posit that motherboard failures are usually caused by poor/failing PSUs. ;)

Never skimp on the PSU; this is one component where you almost always get what you pay for. Always go with a trusted brand.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I also recall situations where some components just quite simply did not play well between themselves.

We have plenty of lists from RAM and mobo manufacturers describing certified ram modules/mothers for ram modules and the like, but I've also seen instances where a computer didn't power up correctly, or even showed erratic behaviour due to it not supporting a specific gfx card or other component.

Heck, I even had a computer which had random crashes due to a PS2 keyboard! (probably a short in the keyboard?)

And I've seen a slew of computers where a short was introduced due to some part of the case, or something within the case, causing a mobo pin on the rear of the motherboard, touching a metal portion of the case or 'something' metallic, causing instability or even refusal of the computer to turn on.

Very meticulous inspection and analysis is needed to troubleshoot the most complex computer problem scenarios.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This. No point in having a good system powered by a **** psu. It would be like getting a ferrari and putting diesel in the petrol tank, it might move but not for long and it'll damage the engine components too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. macleod2024

macleod2024 Bit Poster

I take all your points on board guys. I know how important to have good parts.

Anyway - So I tried the new psu in old board, with old processor, same thing.

New processor arrived today. Put the new chip in the old board, hey presto!

I put the new chip in my Asus board, again life.

Silly biostar beeps are the wrong way round! Goes back to the first point, we know how important it is to have good parts!! The Asus board wasnt much dearer, but it will do til finances are better and I do a proper upgrade later this year. I needed to replace the old board anyway.

At least a little bit of advice has been shared -
    The biostar board bios beeps/sirens are the wrong way round
    The Asus board has a design fault on the underneath that causes a short.

Thanks for all your help and advice!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Netmaster+ 2009
    WIP: MCSE
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)