motherboard compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moominboy, Aug 27, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

can anyone help with this? im thinking of upgrading a few bits n bobs on my pc but think i heard that the components have to be compatible with the motherboard? where can i find the motherboard details and how does it relate to these specs?

Intel PIII 866Mhz Slot 370 CPU

866/256/133/1.75v

SL4ZJ

thanks y'all

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Hi moominboy.

Have a look at

http://motherboards.org/tools/moboidtools.html

Hope it's of some use to you.

Certifications: None
  3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

I think the money you spend upgrading this would be better spent on a new pc or new mobo and cpu atleast. Just my own opinion of course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to price out building your own PC. You can learn a lot from building your own machine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. moominboy

nah thats not the specs for my good one. i bought an old ibm to practise software and hardware stuff on, which has a pentium 2 and only a 5 gb hd and about 150-odd of ram. just looking for where to find out things like , socket numbers of mobo's,what it can handle number of pins for ram, etc.....

6. moominboy

that's what im planning to do, i stripped the ibm and put it back together with no dramas but that doesn't really take much skill, and i even mucked that up by not pushing the cpu in properly! :blink

i have been reading a few things on building but the variety of hardware is what is confusing me