morning all! i could do with some help!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by numpty1978, Nov 25, 2008.

1. numpty1978

numpty1978 New Member

hi,
    having just been made redundant from a sales job :cry: i am considering re-training in IT but am at a loss as of where to start! I seem to be spending numorous hours on the net searching for more information about which course to undertake but there seems to be so much out there what with online training providers (advent etc), i am expecting a phone call from a "career's advisor" (which probably, reading between the lines means "salesman" :dry) form one provider about picking a course to undertake but then many of the threads on this forum suggest buying the books and then booking the exams yourself may be a cheaper way to go? But where do i start? i dont currently hold any qualifications in IT so do i start with the A+ and see where that leads to? if thats the case can anyone recommend the books needed titles, publishers etc so that i can purchase them and start the study slog :p

many thanks in advance for any advice given.
    neil.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you have no experience then it's gonna be tough.

By all means get started on A+ and then N+ and perhaps hang on to any money you've got by opting for buying some books and self studying.

Next - get into IT - anything. Help out at a computer shop, volunteer to help at a charity etc. but try to get some experience behind you.

Other than that, search these forums and you'll find loads of similar posts and answers :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

And yes you are right the careers advisor is a salesman so you'll know the tricks. Don't hand over any cash until you are satisifed.

But as UKDarkstar said consider self study it's a hell of a lot cheaper and if you need advice there is this place and it's free.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

What they said ^^

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said.

If you want a true "career advisor", this is absolutely the place to find MANY who will help you with that... not some dude whose primary purpose is to sell you training.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. numpty1978

numpty1978 New Member

thanks for all the advice guys, most appreciated.
    n.:D

7. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

First book to have a look at would be Mike Meyers A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition.

Which is £20 on Amazon HERE

Good luck to you if you decide to pursue.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  8. numpty1978

numpty1978 New Member

many thanks mercury
    n.:biggrin