More Virus Woes

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Jul 30, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A friend of mine compiled a bunch of teaching aids on a CD to help with my studies of Windows2000. I popped the CD into my laptop and began exploring. By the by, McAfee comes up and says it's discovered the download-s trojan in one of the files on my CD. I do the can and it isolates the file and quarantines it. McAfee says the file cannot be repaired. I have the laptop scanned and no other viruses are found.

Ok, the only infected file is on the CD and it's quarantined. What does that mean on a CD? Is it now safe to use, or do I risk infecting my system if I use the CD again?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Trip,

I reckon what you need to do is scan the CD with Macafee to confirm that it is indeed the source of the virus. Rule out the possibility it was elsewhere on your system.

Then, either ask your friend to redo the CD for you, or if you can pinpoint the exact location of the infected file on the CD, then copy the whole CD to the Hard Drive of a machine with a CD Burner, delete the infected file, and copy the rest of the file back to a fresh CD.

If you do find what file had the bug, let us know - I'm sure someone here will have it as well, and can give you it to re-create the full CD again.

Other than that, the CD is going to remain a source of infection :evil:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually I've nailed it down to one file on the CD. The Laptop is clean. The plan is pretty much as you described...copy all the files into a folder on the laptop except the infected one. I've already gotten a clean copy of that particular file from my friend via e-mail attachment. Problem solved. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+