More unbelievable claims from Skilltrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by TheGothicToothfairy, Jul 23, 2005.

1. TheGothicToothfairy

TheGothicToothfairy New Member

This guy who came to me claimed that by the end of me A+ course i could set up my own business making computers and be earning over half a million a year!. Not so sure about the N+ which i was also offered, i've looked you could get up to like 25k is your also got a cisco CCNA as well but i'm not sure about with the N+ on its own.
    and is the price of £2500 for both A+ & N+ a bargin? the guy said that computeach charge like £6000 and thats without enrolement costs etc. wouldn't i be better of doing the course independantly

Signed totally confused Em

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hmm now that sounds like a quote that I would like to see the evidence for.

Total Bull m8 IMHO. Claims like that made by sales people should be reported to the company or someone like Watchdog or the TRading Standards People.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup - ask him for documentary proof from previous clients who can substantiate this claim ?

Or to paraphrase AJ - <utter bullsh1t>

To the people who make these claims, and hopefully read a Board like this - cut the crap, be honest, and you won't then get ridiculed in public !!!!! Your full of crap for the sake of your commission :x

EDIT: Dude, you could in theory nail the A+ and N+ yourself for under £500, inclusive of materials and fees. We're your support if need be.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

An insult to our intellegence :cussing

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

So thats how mr gates did it!! he got his A+ from them!! :D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. TheGothicToothfairy

TheGothicToothfairy New Member

:biggrin Brillient Idea, along this line of thinking, Just wondering if I could combine N+ homestudy with CCNA which is a 3 hour evening course at the local college costing £149, would the 2 courses complament each other or should i do them one after the other.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, I don't have any experience of undertaking Cisco study, but from what the Guys here would say, I guess that N+ at the same time as CCNA would be a bit much for the time you have.

Consenus around here is that N+ is a suitable into to Cisco material - see if you can make that an option for your overall plans ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Woahhhhhh that's disgusting - I can't belive the guy actually told you that. I'd steer clear if I were you. £2, 500 for A+ and N+ seem a little steep to me but it's dependent on wether it is classroom training or distance learning.

With regards to the N+ it is "compatible" with the CCNA and a good route in. To be honest it depends on your pervious experience as to what route to take. If you are starting from scratch start with the N+ and then move on to the CCNA. I would always reccomend studing at a local college however with the N+ you can do self study it really depends on your personal learning style.

Oh and good luck!

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    hahahahaha.
    ha.
    hahahahahahahaha.
    hahahahahaha.
    ha
    haha.
    ouch.

Sorry.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hey, I started an IT business with a 'C' in GCSE IT, and I'd have made it, if it weren't for those pesky kids!!

heh heh. Only kidding. Report him to Watchdog/Trading Standards. He'll probably be able to substantiate his claim - but it'd be a rare thing. Like Bill Gates. Or Richard Branson setting up Virgin with no qualifications at all to his name. And it's certainly not a relevant/viable/realistic way to advertise a course.

Alternatively kick him in the shins if you see him again. And make sure you're wearing hobnail boots.

Also: why is no one complaining about bolshy aggravating female course salespersons :rolleyes: :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

If an A+ will get you 500,000, then what's the salesman doing just selling them??

I have to agree with the lady-sellers bit - I've been round about 7 schools in london before settling on Connectivity in Canary wharf - and they all seem to have young ladies in skirts up to here and shirts open to the skirts, with bronzed thighs crossing and batting eyes time you ask a difficult question. (she was sitting on the desk in front of me doing this! *shudders*)
    Is it only guys who get this? or is the body builder hiding in the tea room.. (in the end i had to take my wife with me for protection, and i'm pretty sure lynx deo doesn't work like that, whatever the ads say :blink ).

In fairness, Connectivity has one as well, except she's actually helpful, polite and rather good at her job. (not a shamless plug, mark you. i'm married. shame on you for even thinking it, you deviant :twisted: )

Certifications: MCSE win2k
  12. martin brighton

martin brighton New Member

cool which schools are those drool :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL :)
    WIP: A+
  13. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

"and is the price of £2500 for both A+ & N+ a bargin? the guy said that computeach charge like £6000 and thats without enrolement costs etc. wouldn't i be better of doing the course independantly"

WOW that is stupidly expensive!!! £500 max for doing it independantly. Thoes claims about 1/2 a million a year are just lies!!!

14. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

To be honest Skillstrain/ Scheidegger told me that it was £2500 for A+, N+ and CCNA ...

At least my rep was a little more down to earth ... I should be looking to earn circa £25k when I qualify but from the sounds of the guys here, I shouldn't hold my breath a great deal :biggrin

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  15. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

maybe, but don't give in, either - if even myself can become an MCSE and find gainful employment, i can pretty much guarentee you should be able to crack it. just don't expect to be rich overnight! :p

16. ingenue

ingenue New Member

Sarah,

Can you please tell me where the training can be picked up for £500 max? I'm just finding my feet in here and am another victim of the SkillsTrain hard sell - but saw the posts here in time - phew!
    Advent Training - anyone heard of them? Any good?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A life
  17. ingenue

ingenue New Member

Hi Dix,

I want to head in the direction you took - did you have previous IT industry experience?
    I'm interested to know what employment prospects I would have qualified but without experience - so far, the indicators are that it would be a fat zero.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A life
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I see advent training advertising in my local paper but can't see that they have a website. :blink
    They don't really say much in the ad other than they train you and help you find a job up to 25K.

As far as self training is concerned buy decent books and save a fortune! With regards to employment I think it is a case of keep trying. I am in exactly the same boat :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not Sarah, but what she said was "independently". That means teaching yourself to me. And I would agree that if you have technical ability you can train yourself by buying books, hardware to build a lab, and practice tests from someone like Selftest Software or Transcender. It will come to a lot less than any training school. You can then use that lab as the starting point for the larger labs you'll need to work on more advanced certs.

If you get stuck on understanding anything then you have the forums for support. If you were going to take a "self-paced" training program you'd be teaching yourself anyway.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

Hey ingenue,

I do have a fair amount of previous IT experience, but let me qualify that by saying i've been working warehouses and restraunts for the last two years (got lazy after moving over from Africa, basically :oops: ). The catch 22 regarding experience is a problem - it's why i'm going with Connectivity, they give you two months work placement as part of the course, and a lot of the companies invlolved seem to be treating this as an extended interview (fingers crossed :)). There are other options, as well - you may be able to find volunteer work, or bug friends and rellies for help with a short-term job, other schools may have better offerings.
    Or you may just be able to get onto the ladder with a good CV and interview technique. Everyone who's working computers now started off the same, so don't give up. I got my first IT job without any commercial exp., it is def. possible.

NB: They also have a money back guarentee, but it's not as amazing as it sounds - it's dependant on your actively seeking work, not refusing any interview they arrange for you, use affiliated job agencies as well as your own, pass all exams and attend each module in full (which is par for the course), etc, and is only 200 a month untill you find work or the fees are fully paid back.
    www.urconnected.co.uk