More permissions!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jef, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jef

jef Bit Poster

Sorry about this.

Right, assuming I have the share Profiles on C: (ie \\Server01\Profiles\) and my user accounts profile path is \\Server01\Profiles\%Username% - why (as administrator) can't I even read by default? Even after making myself owner, allowing all and telling it to inherit these permissions to child files/folders, I couldn't delete the profile folder?

Surely this is somthing I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You can GPO user's folders so the user has exclusive access. Check this first.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What permissions are configured in the share? The everyone group can have full control and also in the security tab you can configure domain users to have the required permissions to the profiles directory. Make sure the *share* permissions are correct and then add the NTFS permissions.

When you log on as admin it will create the directory for you and also configure the permissions automatically for the administrator only to access that folder.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Share permissions define the maximum effective perms for all files and folders beneath the shared folder. Permissions can be further restrictd but cant be broadened, by NTFS permissions on specific files and folders. this actually means a users access to a file or folder is the most restrictive set of effective permissions between share permissions and NTFS permissions on that resource. If you want a group to have full control of a folder and have granted full control through NTFS permissions, but the share permission is the default "Everyone: Allow Read" or even if the share permission allows "Change", that groups NTFS full control access will be limited by the share perm.
    it can deduced from above that share perms add a layer of complexity to the management of resource acess and it is more better to configure shares with open share permissions "Everyone: Allow Full Control" thenuse only NTFS permissions to secure folders and files.
    From your situation it looks like the problem is actually your NTFS perms.. Check if your account has been added to the NTFS perm to have full control

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

What was there an error message... the user could be logged on!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

This is by design. In the profile dir are also the my docs, desktop and so on. Imagine what could happen if somebody could help himself to the documents folder of the CEO and give the finance officer to give you a raise?
    The profile folder is designed with full security in mind. Most of the time the sec rules are given per folder and exclusively.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. jef

jef Bit Poster

I fully understand that, but what happens when the user leaves the company and you need to remove that folder, surely there should be an implimentation of the ability to delete but not to modify, as although deletion is modification (at the lowest level), at the higher levels that windows operates at there are all sorts of modulations for things like this to be enabled.

Certifications: nowt.
    WIP: bits and bobs
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The simplist way would be for an administrator to take ownership of the folder (and its files).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good work. Quoting an answer from a braindump. Like it. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When that's all you know, what else can you do? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Pedant alert!

He didn't actually know it, hence the copy and paste... :twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  12. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Uhhhh, what? I didn't understand your post after reading through it twice. As someone who advocates braindumps, don't post your garbage and try helping out the other members of the forum. Your advise stinks, and the last thing we want is other people inheriting your bad knowledge. Frankly, how you're allowed to continue posting is beyond me.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642