Money vs experience...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 1/4, Apr 10, 2011.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I had my first call back recently and they want to do an informal telephone interview.

It's basic 1st line support with opportunities for promotion if you work hard and are good etc. Problem is it is a £2000 paycut compared to my non-related job at the moment and is an hour commute each way.

I am wedged somewhere around Preston/Lancaster area and most of the jobs ware naturally for the region around Manchester/Liverpool.

I can't really afford to move house for the position and whilst i'm sure other opportunities will come up I am reluctant to shelve the job before I even start...

They have explicitly stated they will not pay more than £13,000 for the role. Perhaps I could negotiate formal pay reviews at X months - or are they likely to just say piss off?

Decisions decisions.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I started out on £10,000 in Manchester and it was worth it. Slugged it out for a year and then moved on - it had already proved it's worth.

So you're going to be on about £910 a month after tax, down about £125 but with an added commute. Work out how much in real terms you are going to be down. So sit with Excel open and work it out. If you can still afford to live decently then I'd say go for it mate because the hardest part is getting in the door. I look back now and am so glad I dropped out of college half way through to take my first IT job on £675 a month.

Only you can decide if you think it will be worth it though mate.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would say that if you can afford to live on that salary and not be miserable then perhaps you should consider it.. After we all have to start somewhere and this could be your foot in the door. Make sure you have all your bases covered, etc and think really hard about it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. thenoble06

thenoble06 Bit Poster

I totally agree with The Prof.

I took a £10k cut to move from one IT job (where I wasn't learning anything new and was just coasting along) to another IT job where by I'm learning every day and have real room to grow). I'm always skint now, but I'm working my way back up and learning LOADS while I do it.

5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

It's a tough call but if you really want to get into the IT business then it might be something you have to take, even if only short term - I imagine a lot of people have been in the same boat. I took a paycut of over 2k to get into the job I'm im now, I didn't think twice about it, within about 6-7 months and without me even asking, my pay went up by about 3k so I was on more than in my previous (boring, dead end, rubbish) job, in a job which I enjoy doing too and learn new stuff every day. So I say go for it, just look at any cutbacks you can make in the meantime, and aim to be in this job (or on this wage at least) for no more than a year, at least then you would hopefully be able to find a job which pays more. Took me 2 years of hard work to get into IT, I knew I had to take the chance, never know when the next one might come along so bear that in mind!

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think if you can afford it then go for it as it's a foot in the door and you will be surprised how many of them open with a couple of years experience under your belt. With experience comes the pay packet to go with it. Only take the job if you can afford to live otherwise there is no point.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011