Monday Morning Blues

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rosy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Don't you just hate the Yin and Yang of life :!:

I had a lovely weekend - my cold seemed to have finally disappeared, Si took me out for a lovely (and expensive!) meal for my birthday which was earlier in the week, did some painting in the hall (which was a disaster as I can't paint straight lines without getting paint everywhere!),went out to a friends surprise b.day party which was great as got together with people not seen for a while, had a hangover Sunday (and I didn't even get drunk - so unfair!) so tidied up a bit and then just chilled out and later watched a film.

And then along comes Monday morning; crashing down on me like a grand piano falling from my happy cloud and crushing all spirit firmly underground! The cold seems to be back, staff off sick and people turning up left right and centre unexpectedly. I have been running around for the last 2 hours between learners, telephone calls, paperwork and visitors and have had enough! :x So I came here to have a rant and have finally decided that I need out of here! I need to get all the training I can now and then leave! I have been manager here for about 6 months so need to stick it out about another year for the purpose of looking resonable on my CV but I plan to have left by Christmas 2005 at the latest!

Ahhh, feel so much better now!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Chin up Rosie. Just think of the others who are struggling to get work. God that sound soooooo sensible. Just chill out.

Cheers :D

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hey Rosy, as Andrew says, chill out. Get a brew, Unplug the phone, settle back close your eyes and relax.... oh and don't forget the piece of 2 x 4 under the desk for the first person that disturbs you :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

:( Yeah, I guess - sorry - just been one of those mornings!!! Things seem to have quietened down here a bit now anyway. I am still looking to leave now though as I am fed up of all the hassles and stress, crap money and no support as I can never get in touch with those above me to get anything sorted so everything always lies with me. I am sick of going home every night with work and worries.

But now I have finally made the decision about leaving and set myself a target date I am feeling a bit more positive and have something to work towards. Got to get stuck into the study a bit more now!

5. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Phil - if only! :twisted:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey, Rosy - this isn't like you (especially when you gaveme the "chin-up" the other day on MSN)

It's a means to an end, this working lark - pays the bills, etc, etc till your next fun weekend, or whatever.

So get that kitty smile back in place before I stomp you all around the place, you hear ?
    :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can top it...at least I feel like I can.

Last Friday, I went out to work on a computer that seemed hopelessly "adwared". I could barely get any headway. Finally, I said I'd come back out with some firewall software to see if I could block some of the browser highjacking. The PC is really messed up. I ran a virus scan and found three of the critters straight off. Figured I'd take care of it again today.

Set to hook up a wireless SOHO for some folks. Figured it wouldn't be much of a chore since I've more or less got the same thing at home. Wrong. Boss gave me a wireless router to use. I got out and noticed they already had an AP in place and I wondered why the heck we couldn't just create a small, statically configured WLAN and share the main PC's files, printer, and internet connection.

Soon (well, not soon enough) I realized that DSL doesn't work the way dial-up does (boy am I learning a lot). In the process, I took the poor fellow's work laptop and in the process of trying to make the workgroups all have the same ssid, I promptly locked him out. Seems his logon is tied into his being a member of a domain. I'm lucky he didn't throw me out the door right there.

Like I said, after wasting a bunch of time trying to do it "my way", I reverted back to plan A figuring I could still save some of the situation. Wrong. While I got the WLAN router installed well enough and got the DSL connection to feed through it, I couldn't get the one remaining working laptop to take a DHCP address from the router. The PC got one just fine over the wire, but the laptop insisted on configuring itself with a private address scheme. I even reconfigured its IP manually to match the scheme the router was handing out and nada. The pop up balloon said it had an excellent connection to the SSID I set, but it couldn't ping the default gateway (WLAN router) or the pc. I was stymied. I spent over 4 hours there making a mess of things and finally left with my tail between my legs.

The boss decided to call it a faulty router and I'm taking a brand new one out tomorrow (boy, I sure have nerve).

At 4, I finally am able to get out to the critter infected computer on the other side of town. Well, it went a bit better. I loaded a software firewall on and it did start blocking calls to the internet. Not all of them, but I'm working on it. I was running a spy hunter and found a lot less critters on board then previously, even tho I'd reconnected the internet connection. I was about 98% through the scan and my finger poised on the "kill" trigger when the power goes out. At this point, it's almost 6 in the evening. I talk the lady of the house through the restart of the spy hunter then running the anti virus software. While she was there, the firewall caught a malware call to the internet and I showed her how to manage it. I told her I'd need to fine tune the thing and run a couple of other utilities I'd downloaded including "hijack" which should help with her incidents of brower highjacking. A neighbor of hers has a similar problem and I'm supposed to go out and deal with that tomorrow.

All these jobs are courtesy of Zial Wireless Solutions. I'd worked for them on a couple of jobs last fall and now they're getting busy. The boss talked about putting me on the payroll...before I made a hash of things today, anyway.

I really am dreading tomorrow. I know if I can learn from my mistakes, I'll be a smarter and more experienced tech. After all the hard work I've done, it just feels really hard to fail like this. Still, all I can do is keep going. I didn't work hard physically today, but I'm wiped out. Too tired to do any serious writing, I did a bit of internet research to prepare for when I can think more clearly.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Rosy. Blue Monday, huh? Sure been that way for me. :( Sorry to whine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Trip, those sorts of days go with the territory, we all have them. Just roll with it and as you say you'll be infinitely more experienced by the end. Hang in there and you know we're here if we can help at all.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

On Monday - I woke and looked out my hotel room to the rain falling from the sky in London. High rise buildings all round and not a green field in sight. Went down and had breakfast then walked to the tube station. Bought my ticket and jumped on the train. People do this every day I have got to ask why...

Arrived at the station I needed to get to and joined the herd getting off the train and up the stairs. Arrived at a very strange set of buildings and signed in. At 5pm I returned to the hotel....

I do miss the green fields with cows in I see every day when traveling to work. Oh and the air that you dont need to cut with a knife before inhailing.!!!!

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I hate London too Sandy.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I lived there for 18 long months and hated it after about 2 days. :( Best thing I did was move back to thew Midlands where I'm from. :D

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong