Monday morning and server disaster

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Davidh1819, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Apply updates and then go on holiday? Crazy!!

Chances are it will be on auto update....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

OWA is still down and VPN is not 100%

im still not shure which cert to do next after this chaos! A+ or MCSA i want to study a server OS and need to however i feel i need to learn more hardware and basics before hand and also i dont wish to move forward to quickly

cheers for the offer of support sparky btw

the 6 year old server is a result of tight managers with no idea of IT there idea if it runs for 6 years it will run for another 6 years its so old it has a CD drive and no DVD lol

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Been there, seen that. Basically it's like you say.

"What do you mean you need a new server? It works, so why spend?"

then when it dies

"Why didn't we get a new one while the other one was still alive?"

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Sparky

Are you running Exchange Server 2003 mate?

In regard to certs I would still go for A+\Network+ and then onto MCSA, you don’t want to run before you can walk.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+ is where you should begin, followed by the Network+ and MCDST certifications. If you want to study a server OS, you don't need the MCSA for that... study the server OS! Shadow your network tech. THIS is a great opportunity for you to be able to start learning stuff, so when you DO start on the path to the MCSA, you'll be well-suited for it. Microsoft recommends 6 months of hands-on server admin experience in a real-world, multi-site, multi-server environment before STARTING the MCSA.

Remember, certification isn't designed to teach you new technologies... certification is designed to validate to an employer what you already have experience doing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? I rolled out February patches this weekend - both in dev & production at home and dev at work and didn't find a single IIS patch amongst the (nearly thirty) that had accumulated in WSUS in my three environments. You sure the engineer wasn;t telling you porkies?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sparky

Does sound that way.

Unless the patches are 6 years old as well... :biggrin

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Those leather patches last for years :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Oh yeah - just like a moody engineer to apply 136 windoze updates the day before he f***s off on leave :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is the most likely scenario. The guy probably just uninstalled the updates and doesn't really know what it was.8)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This may not be the best advice considering the ****e state he left everything in before going on holiday :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sometimes, it's helpful to see how NOT to do things. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!