Missing anti virus

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi people

im haveing trouble finding mcaffee bonus product??? Im trying to install a new antivirus on friends pc but i get a message telling me that i cant install unless i uninstall the mcaffee stuff, the problem is it is not anywhere in the program list nor is it found when the silly dog on xp looks for it, so i dont know what to do , any ideas folks

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When you delete programs often there are signatures left behined and especially anti virus programs like Nortons and Mccafee don't like to be deleted.

If you like download Ccleaner and run the analyze and cleaning process then use the tools and see if any mccafee products show on that list if they do use ccleaner to get rid of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. zxspectrum

I have tried that GBL but no luck, im doing the search again and ive rebooted many times but im not picking mcaffee up even though that is the reason why my anti bvirus wont install

Ed

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is any of the product installed whatsoever? Can you see the icon for McAfee in the system tray?

If it has been uninstalled properly but for some reason the system still thinks it is installed then search the registry for 'McAfee'. There is probably a directory listed, delete it and then try installing the other AV product. 8)

Edit: Any McAfee services running?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi zxspectrum,
    Have you tried the solution at the following linky?

HTH
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool link N_B.. i knew Nortons had their own software removal apps but i didn't know that McAfooey did 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had similar issues in the past with McAfee where after I uninstalled the product I still got errors telling me that McAfee encountered errors and needs to be reinstalled. When I tried to uninstall it from the add/remove programs it wasn't in the list nor was it in the programs menu. So what I ended up doing was reinstalling McAfee and uninstalling it. That fixed the issue I was having.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. zxspectrum

Cheers guys, ill look at the link later but i managed to get some free stuff from trend micro which will do for the time being, ill be round there later as ive been offered a roast dinner.

Ed