Might have my first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by soundian, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats...
    The "stuttering" & "bumbling" start to disappear as you get more comfortable in the role.

- Until then... Don't say much :twisted:
    Good luck at the job!

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It was just the interview questions, they were mostly about how I would handle people being a bit pissy. Happened pretty much every day for the past 20 years so picking a particular instance was not easy.
    I'm sure I'll stutter and bumble when I'm first put live but that's to be expected. At least I got a job where I'm supposed to think rather than read a script.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job dude!, Major Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the job. :)

6. gregbuchanan10

gregbuchanan10 New Member

Hi Guys,

Feeling a little bit worried really. The problem is i went for an interview with a company called Logica last friday and on monday got a call saying i was offered the job of Technical Consultant/ analyst-programmer. The problem here is i feel i may be in well over my head as i am fairly new to IT. It is mainly centered around Linux and my security clearance. I was hoping somebody may have any advice. I just need a little help with any previous experience of settling in time limits and so on.

Many thanks

Greg

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA, RHCE
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Congrats mate, well done :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Did you not think about that before you applied? can you do the job or not? they would not have employed you if they didn't think you could do it. Whether they think you could do it because of what you told them however is another matter. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get stuck in.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. gregbuchanan10

Oh i definitely feel I can do it. Im coming out of the services having only ever been in the military. Im not sure how i'll cope with different work patterns/attidudes etc. The role was offered to me through my attitude more than anything else. I thought i messed up in the interview purely because i told the truth. It was only my first interview, and just to get to know what people require from somebody at my level. Seems to be the best job out there and im starting on the 22nd of next month.

Cheers

10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Good company to work for. Should be plenty opportunities in there :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Bear in mind that one of the things they will like is the regimented/disciplined environment that you're coming from. I am sure that you're logical and methodical when looking at and resolving issues, and they will expect to see that.

If you take the mentality you have from working in the Forces into any other job, I wouldn't think you'll go far wrong.

All the best.

12. gregbuchanan10

Cheers i really do appreciate your help. One week and i start. I'm getting a bit more confident and actually looking forward to it.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats mate 8)

I'm sure you will rock!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009