Might have my first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by soundian, Feb 1, 2010.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

In typical fashion, you wait for ages and then two come along at once.

I applied for a position as helpdesk for an ISP. This is a permanent position subject to a 6 month probationary period.
    After passing the data entry and tech support exams they've come back to me with another job to consider. This one is 3 months with the possibility of permanent. It's described as 2nd level support but to be honest 1st level seems to be call logging/routing only judging by the 2nd level job description.
    It says I'll get full training.
    It also says it's a demanding, stressful job.

What's everyone's opinions on which would be more beneficial as my first IT role. Working for the ISP would ease me in gently, but sometimes it's good just to jump in feet first. I think I'd learn more in the second one.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd go for the second if I was you, they've suggested you go for it which means they think your capable.

We don't get anywhere without a little stress on the way, so just go for it, if its ****e you can always find something else :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

+1 for second one.
    Helpdesk at ISP seems to be more customer service job than IT. I think problems that customers come back to ISP with seem to be more technical to be solved by helpdesk staff. But that's only my opinion based on issues I've experienced when I ended up giving an ISP a call which often apart from root access to my server needed some inside knowledge of Linux.

But again if you can't land second position by all means go the first one. There's probably enough room for you to progress and I belive you will quickly as soon as you'll get your foot in the door.

Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Go for the one you're most comfortable with.
    If you honestly think you can handle the 2nd level role, go for that. Obviously the organization (or hiring manager) thinks you're up to it.

To get a better idea of the roles, ask what typical calls are handled by 1st comparred to 2nd level. One company's 2nd level can be another company's 1st. :eek:

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, 2nd Line :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

^^ what he said. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Quoted for truth.

(Old school :twisted: )

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep 2nd line would be better.

it'll be a bit of a learning curve but I am sure you will cope fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

In this age and day almost any "first" IT job is a chance to take. I still see people moaning about how hard it is to get into IT these days, and too many try to hit waaaay higher than their belt allows them.

Good luck with it!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be honest... whichever one you can get!!!

That said, if I had my choice of either of them without any risk to getting the other job if something fell through on the first choice... I'd probably go for the 2nd line job. Then again, I don't fear job challenges much... I've always gone into a job role believing that I will find a way to handle anything they can throw at me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for your opinions.
    I'm pretty sure I'll go for the 2nd level job, although it is technically only a 3 month contract I think it'll stand me in good stead for the future even if it's not extended/made permanent.
    I suppose it's time to put my money where my mouth is, I've said to a few people that I know I'll do a good job, if/when I get one.
    I've got an appointment tomorrow to discuss things and do some paperwork. Hopefully it'll be signed and sealed by lunchtime.

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Bah. I need to do one of those competency based interviews first. No prizes for guessing what I'll be boning up for this afternoon.
    Anyway, they've put another job on the radar so I'll be really miffed if I don't get any of the 3.

13. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Mine was technically a three month contract, four months later i am still working and being paid.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I started off on a 6 month contract

now in year 4.......

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm pretty sure if I knuckle down, go the extra yard when required and just generally not be an idiot I'll be OK for an extension.
    Just been contacted about an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed.

BTW, if anyone in Edinburgh wants to apply to work for an ISP, PM me. They let it slip how many staff they were looking for today, and it's a bit more than a handful.

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Oh man, those competency based interviews are difficult. I really struggled to think of specific examples because everything they asked about was an almost daily occurrence.
    Anyway, aced the ridiculously easy IT skills test and was hanging on to the hope that the guy said all the team prided themselves in their knowledge, so maybe a stuttering, bumbling fool with good knowledge might fit in.

Start on Monday!:D

17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Bumpity-bump.
    I said: I start on Monday.

18. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations, Im sure you will love it:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  19. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Lol. This sounds like a demand for congrats... only joking.

Congrats mate. Well done. It's so much easier to land your second IT job that it's just unbelivable.

Have fun

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  20. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It was :biggrin

I've heard getting your foot in the door is the hardest part so I'm delighted to have finally done that.