Microsoft VM based (083) style exams and improved reputation

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by TTab, Sep 6, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

VCP is for life mate according to VMWare's website so you don't loose the right to call yourself a VCP on the version you passed it at.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

But that won't weed out braindumpers/cheaters.

And lets face it, all of us would just turn round and say that it's a money making scheme for Microsoft. I spend enough money on my CPD without having to spend more on exams so show that I've passed them before and work with it day in, day out.

The exam do change, however it has to be within reason. Otherwise you'll have:

MCTS: Windows 2008
    MCTS: Windows 2008 SP1
    MCTS: Windows 2008 SP2, etc...

Not everyone/every organisation will update to the latest service pack/version due to company policy, application compatiblity, etc

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The certification industry as a whole needs to name and shame people and organisations found to be using or supplying braindumps, I'd have liked to have seen the certification vendors get together when certguard came up for sale putting their considerable combined resources in to ensuring the dump sites can be named and shamed.

Even some statistics from the vendors as to how many dumpers are banned/stripped of credentials in a given year would go some way to making the risks real to those who use these things. Unfortunately the numbers at the moment are likely to be embarrassingly low...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They're still for sale, so it could still happen. Sadly, I doubt the certification vendors are interested, and they should be.

Microsoft used to provide that information. They probably stopped because the numbers WERE embarrassingly low... they truly were. At the time they stopped reporting the information, fewer than 10 people were being decertified each month.

Still, that was before they started using their statistical data to catch suspected dumpers... I dunno how many they catch nowadays. But the problem persists... specifically because there doesn't look to be much enforcement going on.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would say they are non existent as the certification vendor would have to prove without a doubt that the person was cheating and that would cost a lot of money to do otherwise they leave themselves open to being sued for potentially ruining someone's career.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011