Microsoft is accused by EU again

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Jan 19, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Microsoft is accused by EU again

What is everyone's opinion on this ? we all love to hate and hate to love Microsoft, but can you really punish them for what, in all essence is the perfect business plan and a very successful one at that.

Are people just sour that MS got so big ? why is it not the same for Apple and Safari, after all, should you not be entitled to bundle whatever programs you want in your OWN software ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Ando

Ando Bit Poster

If there wasn't a browser bundled with the OS, how would Joe Bloggs be able to install a browser without being able to browse to a website to obtain it? (if that makes sense)
    I've never seen firefox in shops to buy?

When I install Windows, the first thing I do is open IE and browse to firefox.com.
    Without IE in the first place, it just makes things more complicated.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, Mstr CIW Dsgnr
    WIP: MCSA
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Exactly, and the average computer user literally only knows IE, they have no idea there are other browsers around apart from maybe Safari on the Ipod and Iphone.

then again, maybe I should start posting a competitors business card up when I send laptops to customers. Competition rules are stupid, look at all the major companies compared to the small and the ones that fail. There is usually one very large difference, and that is aggressive expansion, you can't build a massive company by being ethical and nice.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Huh? If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Europe given the Vista N version, with a bunch of that stuff unbundled?!? :blink

Personally, I think it's a lot of whining about nothing. Those who want to switch browsers know how to switch browsers... it's not rocket science.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Mad.
    Only in IT eh?

That would be like telling Ford that they had to sell cars without windscreen wiper blades out of fairness to all the other wiper-blade manufacturers out there.

I'm sure that some people want to be able to choose their own wiper blades and I'm sure that some wiper blade manufacturers are pissed that Ford get their wiper blades from someone else, but most of us just want to be able to see in the rain.

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

exactly, everyone knows about Firefox and other browsers like Opera.

As far as I am aware we did get the N version.

It just the EU trying to control everyone again, I wish they'd **** off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft ought to just say, "You know what? You're right. We will no longer sell to Europe."

Then we'll see how quickly they change their minds. It'd last for all of a week, and Microsoft would lose exactly zero sales.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Lol somehow I don't think that would float, but I do agree that they are taking it a little too far.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. MarkOfBorg

MarkOfBorg New Member

Perhaps they should just remove the French & German language and localization options from the next OS and service pack. Ok, it might annoy Canada as well but, it might shut "Europe" up with it's pathetic whining.

- M

Certifications: MCTS (SQL Server 2005), CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNA: Security
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

My sarco meter seems to be broken, are you being serious? French and German = Europe

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Nail on the head!
    The sooner we get out of Europe the better...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Agree - just sillyness!

13. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

What the EU moaning over something which isn't even a problem?
    Demanding action taken with no logical fix?
    Never, its unheard of (if you live in a hole maybe)

How can anybody dictate what they put into their own OS, and as rightly pointed out, if they didnt how would you get the others easily?

WIP: A+
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The 2 biggest EU member countries and therefore the 2 countries with the biggest input. Incidentally they are also the 2 biggest complainers.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Although I don't always agree with how M$ conduct their business operations, frankly, what they choose to put in their own software is - or at least should be - their choice. This is just another example of the busy-bodies in Brussells poking their noses in where it's not wanted.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're right, this has probably got to the stage where it is purely an administrative process.

The thing is, if it really is down to rival browser providers complaining that the whole thing is anti-competative then surely the point is that they should actually make a browser that was better than IE and then people would want to use it.

Is it me, or is that what competition actually means?

You don't tell Lynford Christie that he can't take part in the Olympics because it would be unfair on all the people that couldn't run as fast.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

So once Europe have forced the hand and bank balance of Microsoft EMEA so it's no longer worth selling their products here where will they turn their misguided attention?

Dear Jim (Europe),

I think it is very unfair and anticompetitive that Ford sell cars that only have a Ford engine. I want to buy a Ford Fiesta but would like to install a BMW engine as they are better. Please fix it for me so you can meddle in the affairs of a company who are just making their product and selling it legitimately to consumers. I realise you have no idea what you are talking about but will continue to use politically correct 'made up laws' to force Ford to give you loads of their money to fund your tea parties and big fat-cat bonus payouts.

Lots of love

D O Gooder.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You want a BMW motor in there? Wouldn't a porsche motor be more fun?

It's true though, if there wasn't IE in there you couldn't get on the net to download a 'better' browser, unless MS are forced to remove IE and bundle Opera and Firefox instead. :hhhmmm If they play it right and charge for it I think MS might just have a new revenue stream opening up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685