Microsoft IE8 trial coming soon

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IE8 beta to debut after Windows Vista SP1

Internet Explorer 8 will be released as a beta test version later this year, according to a Microsoft source. Windows XP is apparently included in the plans for the new web browser.
    Few details are known about the forthcoming version 8 of Internet Explorer . But sources are now saying it will be released for testing after Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is made available. The release date of the latter has been put back to later this year, TheHotfix reports. - PC Plus

For the rest of the article, see here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wonder if they'll (MS) make it more like firefox, basically with less holes:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess the more they patch the more exploits are going to appear.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I just think that MS is keen to hold peoples' interest by releasing new versions of things.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For sure, they constantly have to be up to be up to date. There is too much competition.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I think they have a genuine reason for wanting to release a new version - Web Standards. IE7 was released about a year too early, and a lot of the issues they were working on were too big to fix. People had been demanding a new browser (IE6 had been around for about five years by that point) and M$ caved (as it always does).

They haven't got a particularly good track record, I'll grant you, but I think that IE8 represents a genuine attempt on their part to comply with the various Web Standards bodies and release a browser that is ACID2 compliant (as well as secure and extensible).

When you stop to think that Trident (the core layout engine for IE) is over ten years old, it's no wonder they have a massive jon on their hands standardising it - especially since so much of Trident is 100% proprietary. M$ has been playing 'catch-up' with standards ever since Billy threw his toys out the pram after missing out on 'the importance of the Internet' in the early nineties - Trident was developed because M$ wanted to go it's own way and has only started to realise that it's stubbornness has lost it business in the past couple of years.

Kudos to them I say - provided it's a legitimate attempt to standardise, and not some M$ bastardisation job...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em