Microsoft Hyper-V versus VMWare

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by onoski, Sep 25, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

See article here http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/09/10/232261/microsoft-hyper-v-versus-vmware.htm I'd stick to VMWare all the way for now though:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We were considering VMWare, but decide to go down the MS route. This was because of the features - we currently do not need the advance features of what VMWare offer and because of price. This is not to say that we won't migrate at some point in the future, we'll just have to wait and see :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Fair point as we are currently running a SAN cluster at work at the moment and have not looked into virtualisation just yet. However, at home I have Dell PowerEdge server 2500 running windows server 2003 enterprise and VMWare server.

I have not looked back since working on VMWare server but wouldn't mind having a tinker with MS version of hyper visors:) just to be in the know.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ok compared to VMWare Server? Hyper-V wins hands down
    but it doesnt have a thing on ESX

Microsoft may of got some bad press for being 'late to the party' but in fact this has been a good move for them

the early virtualization adopters would barely touch the unproven technology for enterprise workloads until certain features were in place, such as vmotion and the incredible up time it afforded, this in turn drove the hype and support around virtualization as a whole, now MS have come to the party, every man and his dog wants some virtual solution, and for most of the smaller businesses its cheaper, and they dont care so much about the missing features

VMWorld highlighted just how behind MS are with the announcement of new products from VMWare and Xen that take virtualisation to the next level, the cloud based computing level, and a significant boost to virtual desktop capabilities

all in all the Hyper-V product is a good hypervisor, it works and it performs, but its no ESX, and the enterprise features just don't exist yet

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0