Microsoft Eror - Bios update?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Colloghi, May 17, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Not sure if this is in the right category, but i hope so

Anyhow, my mother( who seems to like to wreck her pc) hhas suddenly developed this error on her PC

Consider BIOS upgrade

"

Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor.

Additional information

Important: Upgrading the BIOS version may require moderate to advanced troubleshooting skills. If you are uncomfortable with performing these steps, you might want to consider consulting with paid technical support.

If your computer contains an Intel processor, you can use special utilities to identify your specific processor. Click the following link to go online for more information:

Intel Processor Identification Utility

List of BIOS Manufacturers

For a list of BIOS manufacturer websites, see the following two Knowledge Base articles on the Microsoft Support website:

See the article 243909 for a list of BIOS manufacturer websites Part 1 (A-Pi)

See the article 243971 for a list of BIOS manufacturer websites Part 2 (Pr-Z) "

I havnt been able to get near the pc yet, but looking around ive seen some people mention, this is a problem with the actual MOBO. The Pc was bought new, and isnt the first errors its had..........about 6 months ago the cd drive died, just after the warranty ran out....typical

Im assuming if this is the problem, then perhaps the bios needs updating? Im not too sure, and dont want to fry the Pc, so any advise would be appreciated

Specifications, all i know at the moment, without being near the PC
    is intel celeron
    256 ram
    PhoenixAward Bios

Sorry for the sketchy details:( btw the pc is one of those cheapy bargain deals they have going from time to time atPc outlets

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have a look at the computer, and when you start it up check to see if the BIOS reports the processor properly, if it doesnt then just do an update.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you looked to see what processor is listed in BIOS and what processor you've got installed? After all, that's what the crash analysis suggests...

Have you replaced the RAM with known-good modules?

Out of curiosity, what brand of PC is it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!