Microsoft DFS do you use it in your organisation?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 15, 2011.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As above. Do you use it? do you find it easier to manage than standard shared folders?

I'm just lookin at it because a new job I start soon publishes all of their shares using DFS namespaces and I've never actually used tham before as I thought they seemed complicated for what they are.

2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

We use a DFS name space. It makes it a lot easier to move things around without having to update scripts, shortcuts etc etc. If you have a lot of shares over different servers you only need remember the share name. DFS is fairly straight forward and nothing to worry about. There is all the replication as well but we don't make use of that.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I use it to replicate roaming profiles between sites. Handy for users that are not based at the same office\PC each day….

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We use DFS R for shared folders between sites, seems to work well

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

We use DFS too. Once you get used to it I think you'll prefer it. I find its hand if I migrate users from one server to another because when I repoint DFS to the new server, I can leave the old one in DFS as disabled, so at a later date its one way to see what server the data was on prior to the move.

You can also group multiple shares into one logical view to the user with a DFS root, as I'm sure you know, which can be handy.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

We use it in two of the networks I work on - apart from that I can't give as much detail as the others as I'm not too sure of its benefits/downfalls either

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Wouldn't be without it at our work.

We've got 90 offices globally, and alot of the users travel in between them, having a standard path for each office the same as every other one is so much easier rather than having to remember UNC paths.

Some of our main servers in London are housing around 50TB each, and we've got a fair few of them, if some data was needed to be moved to another server, switching the DFS path is so much easier rather than emailing hundreds of people telling them where the new path is.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Same. We use it for shared folders between sites.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA