Microsoft Certified Trainer Advice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by cosway, May 25, 2010.

1. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Ok
    This is a bit of an odd post, but here goes...

I work as a Network Manager in a Comprehensive School, part of my job description is the provision of training of staff, computer use related, Ms Office 2007 that sort of thing...:(

I've got a training & development budget for myself, I've been looking at the Microsoft Certified Trainer Cert, I know I will have to get the Cert for the course to be taught, but one of the requirements is...

"Specify how you have proven your instructional skills and which course you completed to meet the requirement. New candidates must mail or fax proof of meeting this requirement as part of their application"

I've spent all morning clicking links on the Ms website and just keep going around in circles, Does anyone know what courses Microsoft request that you complete to prove your instructional skills?

Has anybody else been down this road before, and would like to talk me out if it (please?):eek:

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, you need to think if you actually need the MCT qualification for what you describe.
    MS Learning Solutions Partners need to provide training through MCTs using official course material but there is no requirement to be an MCT in order to deliver on-the-job training to staff in the workplace.

If you do want to go for it though, and you aren't already a trainer by profession, the best way would be to attend a train the trainer course somewhere or pass a relevant cert like CTT.

If you do become an MCT you will also need to meet the program requirements each year (and pay the annual fee) all of which can be a bit of an embuggerance.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

and theres my new word of the week.

Theres certainly no need to have any certs to provide training to internal staff, I do it all the time

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Thanks JonnyMX

Thats exactly what I needed to snap out of it, I'm a techie not a trainer :D

I'll just do a couple of quick short courses and leave it at that...

Right then...
    ...back to the server room to enjoy some of that air conditioning 8)

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I started down this route, as I was teaching up to MCSE at our lcoal college. But since I've stopped, I decide not to continue, as the MCT is a annual fee. Anyway to prove your teaching ability/status:

Option 1. Provide evidence of your Certified Technical Trainer (CompTIA CTT+) certification from CompTIA CompTIA CTT+ is a cross-industry certification that validates that a technical instructor has attained a standard of excellence in the training industry. CompTIA CTT+ consists of two tests: a computer-based test that is available at Prometric testing centers, and a video submission.
    Option 2. Attend and pass a presentation skills course Prove that you have passed a presentation skills course or train-the-trainer course from a CompTIA Learning Alliance provider, or from one of the additional presentation skills training providers listed in the following spreadsheet.
    Option 3. Prove that you are an experienced technical trainer Provide evidence of your certified instructor credential from any one of these vendors: Microsoft, Cisco Systems, Citrix, Novell &/or Oracle
    Option 4. Prove that you are an instructor at an accredited academic institution Provide evidence of your employment status with an accredited academic institution.

See here, bottom of the page.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Thanks Ken

Very useful info there, if i was to continue down this route, i guess the CTT would be the best option I can see, as you get another cert (which can't be a bad thing)...

This CTT looks intresting...:)

I'll have a serious think about this over the next week and decide if I really want to become a trainer, I keep talking myself out of it, but get the feeling that it would look so shiny on my CV and very appealing to any future employers...

I should say that I'm not currently looking for a job, but having been made redundant twice in last 10 years you can't afford to get too comfortable and complacent.

I belive that technical skills and experience are no longer enough to secure a good IT job, and we have to show other skills (documented) to potential employers, and as I've always been called upon to provide in-house training (on informal courses) I'm guessing it would be kind of cool to get this experance and skills documented and filed away. Maybe CTT without the MCT would be enough to do this?:rolleyes: