Meyers 6th Edition

Discussion in 'A+' started by asam.shan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Just recieved my copy of the meyers A+ book. I was just wondering if any of you have any tips for getting through it in less than a decade.

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<grin> I know what you mean!

I got through the previous edition, which is practically the same size, in two months by reading a chapter on the train each morning.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Ive had mine for three weeks only on chapter 7 trouble is you keep going back overwhat you have read to make sure you have understood correctley lots of good help on this forum just take your time and good luck well back to chapter 7 .

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

My copy is due to land tomorrow and this topic is filling me with dread :lol:
    I suppose youve just got to take the attitude that if you want it then youve got to work for it, am sure they dont just hand out the A+ based on questions an educated guess could nail.

Best get my reading head on lol

WIP: A+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It is a big book but it is very easy to read.

Read through it and take some notes as you go along. Also make sure you don’t drop the book on your foot. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Although the book is VERY big, remember that MM uses a lot of diagrams and photos in his explantions. Also, he dosen't rush giving you the information, he explains it like someone talking to you face to face in simple terms. This means that the book gets very padded out. If you took just the bare facts in the book, it would easily condense down to at least half it's size. So don't get put off by it's size, you'll be surpirsed how quick the pages turn.

Set a schedule to work through it, i.e. # of pages a night, # chapters per week etc... and keep to it.:D

Certifications: none yet!
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I have to agree with Sparky and say its a very easy going read, although it does look pretty scary when your on 3 of 900 odd!

Seriously though, just work your way through it. I just read it straight through first, without note taking etc. I then looked at exam objectives and went over anything I wasnt sure on. Alot of it depends on experience, but either way im sure you'll be fine when you get stuck into it! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I took notes in the form of a glossary for each chapter on any concept/term I hadn't heard of on my first read through- most important terms listed in the book are in italics.

I did this because the thought of having to read through the entire book again and then taking notes was not altogether appealing.

As everyone says its an easy read and the review questions are useful too.

bon courage.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  9. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Thanks guys i have started getting stuck in now and like you said its not to bad once you get started

10. Markyboyt

:eek: Well the book arrived, almost put my back out carrying it up the stairs mind :lol:

11. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

good luck mark but like the others say its not to bad

12. Markyboyt

Im actually finding it to be quite an interesting book to read, i do have some knowledge from tinkering around and looking into things when ive encountered problems on mine and friends machines but i have taken the option to read all the information and im finding that its filling a lot of little gaps and clarifying a lot of stuff, Read up to page 99 last night.
    I would say if anybody is planning to do A+ then buy this book, its not that daunting when you start turning the pages, everything seems to be very well explained and its very interesting

13. culley

culley New Member

I've find that he this particular book is more focused on hardware he goes into deep technical lessons which are very good, but for the software side i prefer Sybex A+ Complete Study Guide.

Which is another brick lol!

14. Grant

Grant Bit Poster

Agree with most of what has been said on here. It's daunting but not bad once you get going. The only problem I've had (which someone else has mentioned as well) is reading bits and then going back over them in case you've forgotten. I'm up to Chapter 5 and I keep doing the questions again for each chapter every now and then to see if I've forgot something. For a few questions I know the answer from memory but I'm not sure why I know the answer (if that makes sense) so it's giving me an idea of which parts I need to re-read once I've finished.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Microsoft MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Highlight points in the book that you find difficult to remember also if its something that you can practice then practice it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. joe public

joe public New Member

I've always found that writing things down helps me remember things;the main skill though is picking out exactly what to note down without unnecessarily copying too much from a book!

Certifications: MCSE (NT) MCP's
    WIP: A+,Net+
  17. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Yeah - my training provider has powerpoints that we go threw everyday. After class I stay behind and right all the powerpoint slides into my book. Then read the part of what we studied that day in my Mike Meyers book.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  18. george88

george88 New Member

Just received the book.... and it is ****ing huge:)
    So far the first 100 pages seem a bit too basic but lets see:) Still I didn't know the names of some of the connectors:oops:

19. Markyboyt

It does start basic and then builds on each thing it learns you, I didnt know some of the connectors either.
    as you read it you will discover that theres basic things you dont know yet more advanced things you do, it will fill in a lot of missing gaps in your knowledge too.

I think the thing to remember is the book is compatible with anybody who wishes to learn A+ be they a total beginner or quite an advanced user

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That just means less to have to wade through slowly! Look at it as a blessing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!