Memory techniques,

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bez, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Bez

Bez New Member

Hi,

I've finished my A+ coursework and within a few weeks of revision I'm about to register for the exam. I've been fixing pc's for years, and have been revising so I'm fairly comfortable with my studying.

However, how do you lot cope with remembering lists of data.

by that I mean for example the list of typical IRQ's, (COM2 e.t.c), SCSI standards, IDE transfer rates. UTP Categories. e.t.c.

During my coursework I simply overlooked these thinking I've always fixed computers and never needed to know that, then I realised they were on the exam :eek:

there's so many to remember and that's just in the basic A+, what the CCNA gonna be like!? :cry:

Could anyone help out with maybe offering some memory techniques or rituals?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - your computer fixing can't have been very widespread! :biggrin

IRQs are not so important now, but on the older motherboards if you didn't know them you were dead in the water.
    SCSI isn't so bad - basicaly they keep doubling the speed. IDE transfer rates you should know for current repairs. With UTP IMHO you don't really need to know some of the rarer lower numbers, except perhaps for tokenring stuff.

Best way of remembering I've found is to create a *written* list of the important tables, and keep it with you - bringing it out from time to time.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What harry said but for the exam you going to need to remember the IRQs and DMA channels aswell as the SCSI table and IDE etc... so maybe just memorizing them will do no harm! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

This website is great for remembering the IRQ's etc.

Only works in IE:

http://www.netwalk.com/~seddy/aplus/irq.html

Uses JavaScript and randomally asks you what each IRQ is. After a while you'll know them off by heart! (Worked for me, but you need to keep doing it or you won't remember!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I created my own tables and lists,in a format that I could remember easilly.Do the same for your various subjects,redo them,redo them,redo them,redo them...

You get the picture..eventually you'll simply recognise the format and have all those facts,figures,pinouts,cablelengths,socket speeds etc etc etc learnt off by heart,it works.

There is a VERY strong possibility of seeing questions related to IRQ's and adresses,processor details (pentium class and better),cable lengths and things like scsi speeds,scsi specifics and so forth,so please don't skip this stuff,you'll be glad you didin't come your exam.. :wink:

Heres one I used for IRQ and adresses

PORT..... IRQ.. ADDRESS
    COM1.... 4..... 3F8h
    COM2.... 3..... 2F8h
    COM3.... 4..... 3E8h
    COM4 ... 3..... 2E8h
    LPT1..... 7..... 378h
    LPT2..... 5..... 278h

look at the patterns of the IRQ and ADDRESSES!!!

IRQ = 4 3 4 3 7 5 memorise this

4 3 4 3 7 5
    4 3 4 3 7 5
    4 3 4 3 7 5.....

ADDRESSES = 3 2 3 2 3 2 memorise this!!

3 2 3 2 3 2

and the rest?? = F F E E 378 278 memorise this!!

F F E E 378 278
    F F E E 378 278
    F F E E 378 278

you get the drift...try it a few times and it'll start to stick.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. Bez

Bez New Member

Some great advice there,

I especially like Malnomates's idea. That's an excellent system. Don't suppose you have a similar for Raid and SCSI speeds.

Thank you to everyone for your support so far.

EDIT: I've just had a go of that site CSX and that is really great. I mean a perfect system for me, that combined with the kind of thing Malnomates is talking about and possibly any others has totally made me relax and feel more confident.

I wonder, do you know of any other quiz things like that?

TBH: I'm sure with a bit of time it would be easy enough to make in PHP or java if you know what your doing. That's such a usefull tool.

Cheers.

7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I don't know any more sites like that. :(

However i found these exam sites in helping me determining if i was ready for the A+ or not:

http://www.free-tests.com/index.shtml

and

http://www.mcmcse.com/forums/exams/ (You need to be registered)

I was going to create a VB.NET application with all the IRQ's on it like a quiz... but then realized by the time i actually created this i could just sit and memorize the IRQ's my self.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix