MCSE(too late ) or MCTIS

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by um08, Jul 14, 2008.

1. um08

um08 New Member

Hi

I am new to this forum as you can see , i have just started thinking about taking the MCSE 2003 but i have been reading on here that Mr Gates wants to replace MCSE 2003 with MCTS .

My million dollar question is :

Should i take the MCSE 2003 (thinking 6 months down the line of hard revision for each exam) ?

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What do you support in work? I'd go with that...

Edit: And welcome to CF! 8)

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The MCSE 2003 will be valid for a long time to come yet. Just because Server 2k8 is out, people aren't going to be falling over themselves to ditch 2k3. It is after all their best and most comlete server platform to date.

As for knocking off the MCSE in 6 months. It would be possible if you are already very well up on all the subject material and have plenty of experience with the various technologies. Otherwise you would be wasting your time IMO. If you didn't have the experience and passed it anyway, you would be a paper MCSE and thus there would have been very little point in the first place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome :)

The MCSE 2k3 will be around for a long time. The MCSE 2000 was only retired this year, so judging by that you've still got quite a few years yet... Just one thing to point out the MCTS replaces the MCP exams, it's the individual MCITP's that replace the individual named certs, eg:

MCDST -> MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech
    MCSA -> MCITP: Server Admin
    MCSE -> MCITP: Enterprise Admin
    etc...

My million dollar answer is, work your way up... If you're on level 1 support/helpdesk, or looking to get into IT, do the MCDST. If you're on level 2 support/server admin, do the MCSA, and so on, and so on, etc.....

IT Certifications are not a race, they are there to back you and your experience up. If you're already working in IT at the appropriate level then yes, 6 months per exam is reasonable - however this does vary per person.

For the MCSE:

For the MCSA:

For the MCDST:

I won't list the rest as you can read them off MS's website.

I agree... Professional exams should reflect your job role and responsbilities, go with what you're working with.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. um08

um08 New Member

Thank you Guys for your responses.

Well at the moment i am a 2nd line support engineer with about 2 years experience and ideally i don't want to be 2nd line support for long (another year ) . I have my heart set on 3rd line , i thrive on challenges and learning new things.