MCSE:Security - Exam Substitution!

Discussion in 'Security Exams' started by mattwest, Aug 31, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I have my MCSE for Windows 2003 and in order to get the MCSE:Security designation you need to pass the following exams:

This one: 70-298 (Designing Security)

Two of these four:

70-299 (implementing and administrating security)
    70-277 (ISA 2000)
    70-350 (ISA 2004)
    Security+

Right so i have already done 70-298 (when i did my MCSE) so that leaves me with two to go. Now i am quite happy to tackle either 70-299 or 70-350 as either of these interest me.... but as i am starting a new job i dont fancy doing both as my time wll be quite tight and 2008 is on the horizon....

Now instead of going for Security+ at the beginning of the year (i was booked to go on this course but it got cancelled so i changed it to CEH!) i have instead gone for and successfully completed both CEH and CISSP.... and frankly both of these are a much higher level than Security+

My question is do you think Microsoft would accept one or both of these in place of the Security+????

I know its a long shot and unlikely but i was wondering if anyone had heard of anything similar?? :blink Because if they did i would only have to do one exam! Thanks!! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

I would email MCP help and ask them. If you log into the MCP site and check the cert planner, you will see that the CISSP is listed as an elective for the MCSE:Security, but I have seen posts from others who have said that listing is a mistake.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, if Microsoft were willing to accept those certifications as valid substitutions, (as they do Security+), they'd already have them listed.

Neither Sec+ nor 70-299 are that hard... study up on them, and knock them out. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks for replies guys.

I've checked on the MCP site and it does list CISSP.... so i've e-mailed support to see:

A) Does CISSP count

and

B) If so how do i send them proof

So we shall see! :dry :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA