MCSE offered by computrain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sh3l5, Feb 15, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It was actually the MCBF he is now a McDonalds certified burger flipper :D he even gets to wear one of those white shirts and use spot cream.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

i reckon the guy works for computrain the rip off merchants are getting desperate, i actualy reviewed it and saw the compu teach are cheaper so i don't know what this guy is talkng about.

ps i was talking about age6 at the top of the page

Last edited: May 17, 2010
    Certifications: none
    WIP: mcpd
  3. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

i just called them now to see if they are giving the same schpeel they gave me last year and i was told that they are not a training company and are actually a recruitment company i asked them how many people they had recruited in the last 2 months and the guy did not know what to say, i also asked if i needed training were would i go and they said they could do the training????? !!!!!! what a con

4. daveyg04

daveyg04 New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. In the last two hours I have had an interview with Computrain and they have offered me training with a "guaranteed" job placement at the end of it. Apparently it will take me 6-8 months t become qualified which, after reading many of your posts, i find hard to believe.

The man i spoke to was very friendly, and seemed interested in and keen to develop me but as soon as fees were discussed he seems very eager to get money from me ASAP which rang alarm bells. I said I don't have any money this week but will do next week, and he said "you can give me your details and well take it out of your account next week when you do have money" and than followed up by saying "are we 100% on next week?"

I have read a hand full of posts on here and many of you said your course cost you £3000+ with Computrain, however, the man has offered me the course for £79 per month because i was the "right person".

I dont have much money as it is and the meager amount of 79 per month is stil stretching my budget and i dont want to commit to this price without knowing more.

I am going to call him back next week and ask him some questions. employment success rate? exam success rate? free re-sits? refund if work is not found within certain number of months? Any suggestions on anything else i should ask?

Thanks, Dave

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The right person is anyone who can sign their name. These guys are sales people and not IT professionals as if they were they wouldn't be telling you to do the MCSE in 8 months. Even if you do pass you won't retain a lot of the knowledge. I don't think doing an MCSE for your first cert is wrong as long as it's done right and that means doing it over 2-3 years if you don't have the hands on experience. Most the guys on here will tell you rightly to self study but start at doing your CompTIA A+ and then Network+ and work your way up the ladder. A+ exams = about £300 A+ books = about £50 for 2 good books and a PC to test on = £300 total = £650 with the rest of the money saved go on holiday.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. daveyg04

daveyg04 New Member

It did seem a bit too good to be true and my sales person alarm bell did ring fairly soon into the conversation. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I - as well as Microsoft - recommend a year's worth of experience administering servers before pursuing the MCSE. Like M78 correctly states, you should start with the A+ and Network+... and self-study is absolutely the right way to go.

Nobody can truly guarantee you a job unless they are the ones offering you the job... so take all job guarantees with a truckload of salt. There are dozens of loopholes that can be used to "fulfill" a job guarantee. They could offer you a job doing something you don't want to be doing, making too low of a salary, requiring too long of a commute, or working for a company you'd rather not work for, and their side of the contract obligations would be met.

Well, provided they pass the credit checks. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

I have read a hand full of posts on here and many of you said your course cost you £3000+ with Computrain, however, the man has offered me the course for £79 per month because i was the "right person".

I dont have much money as it is and the meager amount of 79 per month is stil stretching my budget and i dont want to commit to this price without knowing more.

Thanks, Dave[/QUOTE]

how long is the term of the agreement?it must be 3 years if its only 79 per month

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

how long is the term of the agreement?it must be 3 years if its only 79 per month[/QUOTE]

Most agreements like this will run for at least 3 years, and with interest, you will usually pay back twice what you borrow.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

Most agreements like this will run for at least 3 years, and with interest, you will usually pay back twice what you borrow.[/QUOTE]

it is 1 year i called last week.

the company that pitched me is called career jobs uk the same person that pitched me from computrain called me regarding the same position with the same pitch,what gave the game away for me was samantha slack was the admin girl,

so the same sales guy and the same admin person are offering the same training but with a different website and different company, smell a rat anyone?

also this website careerjobsuk.com says it has jobs in all sectors but when you press the jobs it redirects you to reed, cv library, etc and all the real job sites. and when you press the training button it only discusses it training, not accountancy,law,catering just IT, and you have to put in your details to get a call. which is what i did i then got a call from steve who did what i said above,

i was asked for a 79 pound admin fee straight away and he would send me log ins, no contract or invoice was offered to me he said all i needed to do was pay the 79 quid and i would get the t&cs once i logged in.

he garanteed me a job once i passed as well which is dodgy to say the least.

i declined saying i do not pay without an invoice he tried to counter that by saying i would get it all once i agreed to t&cs,

so a training company formerly know as computrain is mascerading as a recruitment website to get guys that are looking for work a sales pitch that is so cheap you can hardly say no if you are not in the know!!!!

what would trading standards say????
    how many people have been ripped off by this???

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

Hi guys,
    I am a recently graduated university student. After graduating I worked in an office doing admin duties for a year, but recently quit that job because I was not learning anything new and it was very repetitive. I have studies an Aerospace engineering degree which had a mix of IT modules and also have a City & Guilds Level 2 ICT Diploma, so Im not completely oblivious to hardware and software.

I am considering signing up to these Training Companies to gain some IT qualifications and progress in the IT sector as opposed to the Aerospace sector (because there are no jobs for engineers in aerospace).

I have had an interview with JustIT which train you in the A+ certification, Windows XP, Windows Server and CCNA and they promise you a job (which I do not believe, and I've also read a lot of posts about this thread). The total JustIT quoted me was approx £5000. I am also considering speaking with Computrain about their MCSE course (even though many people advice against it, but I feel I don't have many other options).

Im very confused about about how to go about looking for a job in IT and what qualifications to do to start a career in IT. Please can you guys help me out and provide some advice. I am at a point where finding someone to get advice is really hard so i've joined this forum as there are so many of u with a range of experience.

I hope you can understand my situation.

Many thanks,
    Jay.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well the MCSE and CCNA are certifications to show your on the job experience level not that you can pass some exams. The MCSE is for people who have 12-18 months working as systems engineers and whilst the CCNA doesn't state how much experience you need its pretty much a given that even if you have the CCNA and no job experience working with cisco kit then it wont do you any good.

Nobody walks into a networking job anyway for their first position.

Starting certs are A+,N+,MCDST and the MCTS which are the upgrades to the MCDST.

We have had people on here before who have the MCSE and some with the CCNA and they cant get a job this is because they are over certified for their experience level, they have then got entry level certs and hidden the big certs of their CVs and then have got jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. farhazj

farhazj New Member

hahaha..this is hilarious lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup.
    It's called 'induction'.

:D

15. inspectahpecks

inspectahpecks New Member

Afternoon all.

I originally visisted this site a year or so ago, looking for some advice. Like many others that have posted on this website, I was tricked into signing up under false pretences, and was therefore looking for options on how I could recoup my money.

Firstly, i've noticed a lot of replies on here advising that the contract that you sign up too with Computrain is legally binding, and that you've therefore got no way of 'getting out of it' after the cooling down period. That simply isn't true.

You can always challenge a legally binding contract. That's what the small claims court is there for, and this is the route that I took.

The result of the court hearing was that Computrain were ordered to pay me back all of my money, plus court fees, and compensation. I personally attended the hearing and presented all of the evidence myself. I also compiled the evidence myself.

My point being, going to the small claims court is actually a very simple process. Don't be afraid of it.

If anyone wants to know any details of exactly what options are available to them, then please ask. But please be assured that signing up to a contract is not as black and white as some people seem to assume. Furthermore - Computrain's T&C's are very ambigious, and therefore don't hold up in a court of law.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I am now going to refer every "I've been ripped off by a TP" poster to this post. The reason so many people give misleading advice on the subject of contracts is because were all here to collect/give info on certs, not legal matters.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed, but you need to make sure that you actually have some evidence, which is why I keep telling people to keep records. You can't just go in saying that you were 'conned', which is what we usually see.

To an extent. But you can also lose and end up paying court fees and expenses yourself - so don't take it lightly either.

18. inspectahpecks

Admittedly, I had a trump card, in that I used to work in contracts. I don't have any legal background though. It was the first time i'd ever stepped foot inside a court room (I was INCREDIBLY nervous!)

In all honesty Comptrain's representative (Barry Mcgregor - seen him mentioned on the site a few times by others) made a complete fool out of himself during the court case. He was very unprofessional, which no doubt helped my cause.

Again, happy to give specific advice to anyone that needs it.

19. inspectahpecks

Agreed. Evidence is obviously paramount. I only took 2 pieces of evidence in with me, 1 of which was a copy of the T&C's. The T&C's alone would have probably been enough. They really are a disgrace, and the judge picked up on that in a matter of seconds.

I think I paid court fees of around £150 in total. Obviously if you can't afford never to see that money again then the small claims court isn't the route for you. There's no guarantees.

20. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Small claims

A quick google threw up that site. How would you rate the advice for someone thinking about pursuing the small claims route?
    NB: There are different sections with different advice for the four home countries which are a bit more specific for each.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job