MCSE offered by computrain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sh3l5, Feb 15, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

CompTIA A+

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+, N+ and MCDST in this order and no further until you have experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

many of people in this forum think we should study by ourseflves .
    yeah ,the self -study can save us much money on the exams .however ,Certification -training courses or e-learning , in my opinion, can save us much time to learn the technology .if you are very busy , i think you can consider training courses.
    Many passing microsoft exams ,in my opinion ,had training courses .
    However ,I never heard of that training center.
    I got my certs by attending microsoft courses .

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, yes and no Hannan.

If you are very busy, then the only option may be to self study in the evenings.
    Doing an MS course in the classroom can typically take 5 days.
    Not many working people can afford to take 5 days out of work for every cert they want to do.

So a classroom course will get you through the process quicker, as it's usually more focussed, but it would be limited to people with plenty of time (and money) or someone with a very supportive employer.

You don't mention where you're based. There are some countries where bootcamps proliforate and so yes, you can do an MCSE in two weeks which is a real timesaver! :biggrin

Which certs have you done?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

Do an mcse in two weeks? are you serious ??
    I get my cert in more than 2 month ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

He didn't say it was a good idea... 8)

7. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

Oh .i am sorry.
    I got it wrong .

However ,IN my opinion ,
    Learn from others. It saves me a lot of grief.

Of course ,it varies from one to another .

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

In many cases that's true.
    At the end of the day, that's the way our education system works.

However in professional training it depends on the complexity of the subject and the requirements of the learner, including their experience.

The reason a lot of people are sceptical is there is no set standard for training providers as there is for other forms of education, and therefore they vary widely in terms of price and quality.

On the one end of the spectrum you have your reputable TPs.
    They probably don't even regard themselves as TPs.
    They employ qualified instructors and follow a set classroom curriculum. They have some kind of quality control system in place and offer 'sensible' courses to professionals. Their courses last from a few days to a week and your exams are probably included. They are quite expensive, about £1,500 for a week.

On the other end of the spectrum you have TPs who use aggressive marketing to trawl for students. More often than not they come to you rather than you going to them. They use high pressure sales to sign you up to a course that isn't sensible - A+, N+, MCDST, MCSE, CCNA or something like that. Then they send you a couple of books and give you a number to call if you need help. They then give you a couple of years or so to complete the course if you can. They are usually very expensive, anything from £3,000 to £8,000 for a course.

Then there is all the litter in between.

Now, the first one has its place. If you have a guy working in the IT department and you want to get him into Exchange as part of your company training and development policy, you'd probably send him on one of these for a week rather than send him home with a book.

But in the second example (and a lot of the ones in between), ultimately all you are doing is sitting at home with a book anyway, so you may as well save yourself £5k.

When we say TP on the forum, we're usually referring to the latter.

9. JimmyRooster

JimmyRooster New Member

Just like to say Hello and thanks,

Have been getting sick of my current line of work for a while, (cheffing) and although I have been studying comp science
    for 3 years with the open uni (mainly Java). have been getting more and more frustrated about getting into I.T.
    So much so that after being redirected from a job ad online to the Computrain website, I almost,,, very nearly,,,
    SIGNED MYSELF UP!!!!

Thank God almighty above that I had one glimmer of a brain cell still functioning who directed me to google and thus to this lovely place!

Just wanted to say thanks to you all (undercover computrain employee's excluded) for the advice in this thread.

Im looking for a few interim certs to help me get that first elusive job,,
    looks like A+ N+ and NCDST are the way forward.
    Will of course be self studying, now that my motivation has been regenerised by this forum!

Im off to have a look what else is going on around here
    Thanks all!!
    :D

10. Mike

Mike New Member

It's a con.

This is an old ploy. I remember a company twenty years ago offering the same deal for a mere £12,000 and not long after went under because it couldn’t place the people that had qualified.

I would checkout one of the MCSE training books and gauge how long it would take you to realistically read through it, and prior to taking the exam, I would go through the cram book for that exam subject.

Good luck.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The MCSE is at least seven exams, some tough as old boots.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Bill 2009

Bill 2009 New Member

I signed up with Computrain, passed my exams successfully and like many others have struggled to get anywhere further with them since. Those who can read all these messages are lucky as not much information / experiences were around when I was trying to do some research before signing up. I am currently trying several options to either get a full refund or job (I know...highly unlikely!!) as like many of you said, without experience these certificates are not much use! If you are in a similar situation or have been there etc and have any advice, PLEASE CAN YOU CONTACT ME!

Certifications: MCSE
  13. Shibby

Shibby New Member

Well here is my input to the story,
    i applied for a job through the Job Centres website and ended up talking to a "Senior Consultant" at Computrain and have been through the whole rigmarole of having the telephone interview and 3 more telephone calls later i was seriously thinking about sending off the monies and getting the Guaranty of a Job when getting the Certificate or a full refund if no job was found after 2 months of passing.
    Something was always just niggling me in the back of my head that something didn't feel right, apart from sending off money and THEN getting paperwork to read and sign... so of cause Google being my friend i searched and came across you guys..... thank you....
    after reading the Thread i checked out CompTIA A+, N+ ect as none of these things where mentioned to me over the phone and checking the emails that i had been sent they where not mentioned ether, so i called back and asked about them.. my "Senior Consultant" did his best to skirt around the questions and concentrate on getting the Deposit the end result of the Certificate!!!!!

now im not saying that Computrain dont get you a qualification or a job..... im just letting anyone who reads this that i thank you for your Forum to answer doubts in my mind that where there.. and CompTia A+, N+ self teach here i come :biggrin

WIP: MCSE
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I will, if you like. :twisted:

:biggrin

15. Shibby

Shibby New Member

Cheers JonnyMX
    :tune

WIP: MCSE
  16. agte06

agte06 New Member

i have and just found a job after 11 months doing my mcse so no bad reports on computrain although it took a bit longer than what i was told. after all advent went bust, computeach are toooo expensive so overall found the right deal geeks peace out cyber pussies

17. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

This wouldn't be someone from Computrain by any chance would it :dry :wink:

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Why what on Earth would make you say that Beaumont? :dry

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I just love these old threads that refuse to die...

20. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

The person doesnt even say where their job is, so i guess they could be washing cars.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP