MCSE offered by computrain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sh3l5, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You write name on paper with pen.
    You give man good money.

This be contract.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Helz

Helz New Member

Yes I am sure they said it would be easy to find me a job due to my experience :S

3. Helz

Helz New Member

Yes I am sure they said it would be simple due to my experience! :S

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What sort of experience do you have?

And if you have sutable experience, why would they put you on a 'training' course?

5. oxygen2k9

oxygen2k9 New Member

Hey All.

So first of all tiny bit of background. My name's Alex. 20 years old from the West Midlands. Sorted.

So yesterday i got a call from "Steve" from Computrain advising me that he received my CV after i applied for a job on cv-library. He asked if we could have an "online interview" today at 11am and i thought ah what the hell might as well. So today at 11am on the dot Steve gave me a call and ran through all the details about the company, his role, the relationship they have with clients, the qualifications blah blah blah. To be honest, he was quite convincing but an alarm bell started ringing when he said that if i was accepted there would be a £200 admin charge, £200 admin charge!!! I went along with it all to see what he had to see. Soon as the call was finished i thought "who you gonna call? GOOOGLE" and that is how i found this here forum.

So are they really that bad? From what ive read so far they seem to be pretty scammy. I see there is alot of negativity in this forum towards them which if fair enough but i was wondering why you have so much negativity? Being the internet people like to hate for hate's sake. Also i dont mean to doubt your word, im just trying to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers fella's (and ladies if they are present, but this is the internet so probably not lol :blink)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

:eek:

Yes, it is a bit scammy.
    There is a very fine line between identifying individuals who would benefit from training and then providing that training, and preying on vulnerable people making false promises and charging excessive fees.

The line is VERY thin...

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Because we've heard story after story after story (or experienced them personally!) about people getting taken by training companies. They often promise "free training" that turns out to be not free. They often guarantee job placement that does not come through. They often sell you on a package of certifications that have nothing to do with what certifications you SHOULD be getting, just to make as much money off of you as possible.

And that's just the bad training providers. Those fortunate few people who do end up with a decent training provider will usually end up being heavily in debt to pay for those courses.

Truth be told, you don't NEED a training provider to get these certifications. All you need are a few self-study training materials and the desire to succeed. That's it, nothing more.

Given all these factors, why should we NOT vehemently warn people about the dangers of signing on the dotted line?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I have been on lurking but never been posting on this forum before today but i felt i had to post something today after a call from computrain which is very revealing.

I got a call last week from "steve" from computrain after i posted my cv on a certain website, and he went through what seemed to be a bit of a sales pitch he basically asked me a few questions(no more than 3 mins worth) and said that i needed training in MCSE to get my microsoft certifications, i said i was more interested in dba and after being told they do that as well he asked if i was interested in doing training so he could get me a job, as once i had passed he would be able to garantee me one. i agreed to getting a callback and the next day i got a call on time from steve saying that if i was succesfull i would need to pay a deposit today so he could get me on the course next week, this was before i was even told how his training worked which sent alarm bells ringing for me.

What i am interested in is development and database admin but he kept talking about the MCSE which is networking qualification i pointed this out to him and he started to talk about CIW and MCDBA and that they are experts in both of these courses.he did not seem to understand the courses and did not explain them well to me(considering he is a consultant) he then asked me for £2650 and as was discussed would be taking a deposit off of me today for £350 to get a place on the course, i told steve i had no intention of paying today as i wanted to wait till payday at the end of the month he then asked me how much money i had in my account and whether i could spare £100 to hold my place. i felt this was out of order and said no i would not tell him how much he kept on trying to get my information but i made my excuses and ended the call.

I went onto their website and to my suprise they were adverting on their homepage the MCDBA and the MCSD both of which are now defunct both of which have been superseeded by the MCITP abd the MCPD respectively
    and that you cannot do the exams for the old certs anymore so whats the point of selling these courses? plus the CIW is over 10 years old and is not worth the paper its printed on.how can they sell a product you cannot get certified for?????

I am glad i did not hand them any money over and hope that people do their homework like i did so they don't get ripped off.

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcpd
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It seems astounding, but us remakably common.
    Look around most websites, mainly TPs but also those selling course material etc and you will still see MCSD and MCDBA all over the place.
    The only thing I can think of is that 1 - they don't have anyone working for them who keeps up to date with these things and knows what they are talking about and 2 - no student has reached the point where they have come to sit an exam hence not bringing the problem to their attention.

Sadly, it also shows that a great deal of students also don't do their homework prior so signing up, so well done to you. :biggrin

10. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

it just shows that they are a sales company not a training provider i have seen companies out there that provide the latest technologies but they are few and far between.
    Most companies are like computrain rip off merchants that will not train you properly and have no interest in you once you have paid them.

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcpd
  11. xamiexxx

xamiexxx New Member

Hey im new at this after reading this i thought i had to say something. about half an hour ago i got a phone call from kieth from computeach. i applied for an mcse engineer position on cvlibrary ages ago and that is what he contacted me about. he explained all about it and said what id be doing blah blah and then promptly asked me what i earned and how i would fund it and all sorts like that. he then told me i would have to pay some money towards the course fees. i thought well i will if it will get me a good job! then he told me how much £2500! wtf? im not in a position to do that!
    im supposed to have an online interview tomorrow at half 12! dont think im going to now! sounds like a right scam!
    whats the old saying!
    if something sounds too good to be true it usually is!
    i am so glad i have done my research
    the ironic thing is he sounded like such a nice guy!
    =]
    comments please
    would appreciate some info !
    thanks

12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Phone call at 9:30PM? The things people will do for commission :\ desperate times:dry
    I would have drove down there.. :x:cussing:box2:knife:box

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I think you summed it up perfectly yourself.

Do you currently work in IT? If not, then I and many others on here would strongly suggest that you self study for the ComPTIA A+, then Network+ first. These will give you a good grounding in hardware/software and basic networking. You can save yourself thousands by self-studying the A+ and Network+ at home.

The likes of MCSE are for people with at least a couple of years of managing/administering Windows servers, domains, AD and the like.

14. xamiexxx

xamiexxx New Member

thanks for your help
    i am not currently in IT but it has always been something that i have been interested in
    im doing my a levels but was just seeing what was out there currently!
    I all sounded too good to be true to be honest with you!
    luckily my grandad had a great knowledge of IT after working in the industry for many years and making a hefty amount so i sought advice and ended up at the right place after all!
    at least i now know not to fork out a load of money!
    seriously considering a self study idea though!
    =]

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

100% true.

"Good" salesman. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Now you know then do what you can to waste his time and make him think he's getting a sale.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

THANK YOU!!!

well as most above, i got a phone call yesterday telling me about the whole computrain stuff, and should be getting a phone call in about 30minutes for the online interview.

He was a good sales man as did make it sound brilliant but then as above, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

He even said that they will give you a loan of your course fees and then you pay them off monthly or so.

I'm currently waiting to start a call centre job :( (just to pay bills as i have no experience in IT other than i used to build my own computers) and have no money as the call centre job has delayed my start date and i'm paying bills out of savings accounts.

I would love to go into IT, only reason i didn't do it at school was cause it was more "admin" of spreadsheets and so on, more than technical stuff.

Now i have read this whole thread and want to say thank you, as i'll do the self study route and use all the resources on here as well so that i can get my qualification.

I will probably start at a lower qualification to get more ground knowledge, but i want to get hands on experience yet i can't find anyone willing to take on an un experienced person with no IT qualification.

Cheers

Rusty

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Beware of the 'interview'.

It's a technique that everyone seems to be using at the moment.

The point being that the salesman doesn't actually have to do any work. He's effectively turning the tables on you so rather than him having to sell the course to you, you end up having to try to convince him that you're worthy.

We're all preconditioned to do well in interviews and we want to appear in our best light to the interviewer. So we play along happily and aren't tempted to challenge them as we would do normally.

If we do, it takes just a quick reminder of how few places there are left, or a mention that they only recruit once every two years etc to get you back in line.

Until, finally, you weep with joy as the happiest day of your life comes true and you are told that you've passed and just need to give them £5k now.

8)

19. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

Yeah i'd had a scam of a job before try to interview me, for a canvassing job (they didn't advertise it as this, they advertised it as a advertising/media job, and being a photographer i liked that) yet in the interview i noticed that he was trying to tell me why i was suitable for the job.

I'm on a wireless dongle just now as still waiting for internet in the new flat, and also currently using (probably blasphemy on here) a mac (better for audio work and photography work, but will get a new pc for studying IT stuff and get my old pc and try and turn it into a server?)

20. xamiexxx

xamiexxx New Member

I think im going to do the slf study route too
    any ideas what sort of qualification you should start off with?
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks