MCSE offered by computrain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by sh3l5, Feb 15, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What Sparky meant was that the company was spinning you a line - trying to make you feel like you are somehow 'special' by ensuring you 'meet their criteria' - when in reality the only criteris you need to meet are:

1 - You have a pulse
    2 - You can sign your name on a form
    3 - You are gullible enough to part with the best part of three grand for some books you can get for a tenth of that & training materials that are bettered for free on that t'internet.

Seriously - this little bit of con-psychology has been around for as long as I can remember - I once took one of the 'stringent aptitude tests' for one of these companies (about seven years ago now) and, for giggles, I ensured I got nearly every question wrong. Unsurprisingly, despite scoring about 5 out of 30 I was considered 'an ideal candidate' for an MCSE course (despite 'proving' that I didn't know what an IP address was) :biggrin

They are NOT a recruitment company - they are an IT Training company - nothing more, nothing less.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

^ I feel so relaxed when you get zeb to release your frustrations :)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As Zeb has also said they are just feeding you a few lines, the only "criteria" here is money and it involves you parting with some to take the course.

As for the job "guarantee" is there any more detail on this? They might offer you anything and it could be located anywhere and if you turn it down (is that an option in the small print?) then they have fillled their obligation to get you a job.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

Hi all.

I beg to differ with most of you in here. I was looking to do training in the middle of last year around June / July and done some research into Training companies.

I had spoken to Advent / Computeach & Computrain.

I felt Advent and Computeach used bullying tactics to get people to sign up. They send a salesman round to your house who explains to you what they offer and then by the end of it tries to get you to put pen to paper and hand over £5500. They both really wanted me to make a decision on the spot which after a few hours of both salesman trying their best I did not sign with either of them.

My final interview was with Computrain which was a telephone interview with a gentleman named James (who later became my course mentor). Well after 45mins / 1hour on the phone with this guy he had explained in detail the way CompuTrain run there courses and also all the benefits I would get if I jumped on board with them such as the 24/7 online mentors to help me if I am having troubles at anytime which may I add were very very helpful and also my job guarantee (which I mite add sounded odd at first but hey I went with it)

Once the interview had finished I clearly needed sometime to think over things before I made any decisions. James (the guy who interviewed me) had been very understanding with this and said he would call me in a few days hoping by then he would have a decision for me and I would also have a decision for him.

Long story cut short I had signed up with CompuTrain to do the MCSE course which would cost me £3350 but for my £3350 I was getting the following: ECDL, MCDST, MCSA & MCSE all my Exams were included in the cost and also a free re-take for each Exam if I needed one. James was also able to through in a Project Managements course for me as well included in the £3350 cost.

This was all done middle of June last year and I have since then recently passed my whole course. To be exact I had it done beginning of February. I was a little worried about the job placement side of things as when I told CompuTrain I had finished my course I had heard nothing back from them for at least 5 days.

I am happy to say now that I have been placed into 3 interviews so far with CompuTrains Clients and I also have another 1 to attend in 2weeks time. It is looking all good for me and currently they have successful negotiated me a salary of £25k.

My final overview on CompuTrain is they are a very good company I had a enjoyable experience and I am on the verge of taking up my first job with the help of CompuTrain.

Hope this helps most of you and hope you all make the right decision like I did.

If there is anything else I could maybe help you with in regards to this company which I may have missed out then get in touch and I will try my best to help you out.

All The Best
    JMESSY

Certifications: ECDL, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Please forgive my pessimism if you are genuine, but you're not the first to appear out of nowhere to post positive experiences... it's a common tactic used by training providers for the sole purpose of touting their company.

If you are indeed genuine, I hope you are unlike the others and become part of the CertForums community!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

I understand fully what you are saying mate. you can never be too sure these days. lol.

so how do I go about joining the cert community then? (maybe a stupid question but im new to this lol)

also quick question, have you done MCSE training yourself then or have you been in touch with training providers cause im guessing you have had a bad experience. i could be totally wrong thats why I am asking mate.

cheers

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

their test is to see if you have cash then if you do or can get it your in.

I was looking at jobs on a website this week and a job title for an IT Tech came up BUT you have to sign up to computrain to be considered for the position. Sounds like a con to me

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. greenbrucelee

if you want certs you can get the books and study yourself. then take the exams.

9. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

not quite as easy as that otherwise i guess we will all be doing it mate. if we all trained that way we still would be lacking in the experience side of things.

anyway I have done the work and as said previously I am on a successful route into getting a decent IT career with good money.

you dont get anywhere in this world for nothing and thats is with anything... IT, Music, Film, Football ETC...

10. greenbrucelee

It is as easy as that, I haven't used a training provider.

I got the books from Amazon read them, practised what I was learning used google, asked for help on here if I got stuck booked the exams and passed. I also have a job too which helps.

I now have 3 certs under my belt and if I was to go with a TP I would have probably had to pay them 2k + exam fees or more, when if you look at it I have paid around £750 including the exams books and travel to my nearest test center which 56 miles away.

11. BosonMichael

No, I haven't ever used a training provider - all of my certifications are gained through self study and real-world, hands-on experience (proof that it CAN be done). However, in my 11 years in IT, I've heard many, many, many horror stories about training providers... and to this day, I still hear stories of training providers signing people up for courses that they shouldn't be signing people up for in an attempt to grab cash.

Take yourself, for instance. You may have been given bad advice and not even known it. In your post, you don't reveal how long you've been in IT, or what your prior IT experience is... but if you don't have a year of administering servers in a 250+ user, multi-site, multi-server domain environment (Microsoft's recommended requirements, by the way), you're not a suitable candidate for the MCSE. In fact, an MCSE certification without having the requisite amount of real-world experience can actually be MORE harmful to your job search than NOT having the certification at all, because you'll be overcertified for lower-level positions, and underexperienced for anything beyond that.

But... the training center wasn't going to tell you that. If they had, you might not have signed up for the course.

While there ARE good training providers out there, there are also a BUNCH of bad ones out there - some of them bad through no malice on their part, but only because they don't know they shouldn't be advocating upper-level certifications to entry-level folks. Some charge outrageous amounts of money for not a lot of instructor-to-student benefit, while others provide braindumps disguised as "practice tests" to enable their students to cheat to pass the exams, making their company look better.

The bottom line is this: it is far, far safer - and cheaper! - to use self-study methods to get certified. I have yet to see a post complaining that someone got ripped off or did not get good value for the money using legitimate self-study methods.

So... how do you become part of the CertForums community? Just post - it's as easy as that. Interact with people here and integrate yourself into the community.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. BosonMichael

But it is quite as easy as that, and more people here are doing it exactly that way rather than by using a training provider.

You can't get "experience" by taking a class. Sure, you can get some hands-on practice... but employers don't consider that "experience". In truth, you can get that same hands-on practice in the comfort of your own home, at your own pace, on your own equipment, and for far less money.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you can't learn anything by using a training provider... you absolutely can. But there are far cheaper options out there, and if your argument is that you "get experience"... well, you can get that same experience through self-study.

13. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

reply to greenbrucelee & BosonMichael.

I appreciate what both of you guys are saying and have taken it all on board. All im saying is I have opted out of doing the self study stuff and went with a provider and have since then passed and on the verge of being placed.

i guess both ways are right if you are 100% committed to the work. I mean the proof is there that you guys self study and done it and i went to a training provider and also done it.

i guess some people just need a little bit more support then others which is why we choose to use training providers.

14. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

Hi Everyone.,

Just a quick update.

Computrain have successfully placed me into work with one of there clients starting salary £25.5k.

This is fantastic news for me and thought i would share with the rest of you.

PS: (if anybody else has trained in here with computrain or any other provider then please share your storys with us may it be good or bad news)

Cheers.

Bye for now

15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done on the job front.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats! Though the starting salary for London is well known to be higher than the rest of the country.

Do you think that you could have obtained such a job off your own back, rather than going through a training provider?

NB - I only ask as itjobswatch states that those located in London with an MCSE cert should be earning somewhere in the region of £35k (I know this is down to a lot of factors - age, experience etc... but the question still remains)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. JMESSY

JMESSY Banned

Well as I am a 1st time passer in the MCSE field I am very grateful for the position I have and the salary I received.

As you said it does boil down to a few things such as age, experience and so on.

I currently have minimal hands on experience but have been told that after a 6month probation period my position will be reviewed and my salary and benefits could well get better.

I am well happy though, in a stable job and with all the doubts from some of the things I heard this company actually pulled through for me and I think it was money well spent.

18. duncanpa

duncanpa New Member

Hi there first thought i`d done this correctly as first time on a cert forum

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've now got an image in my head that I just so don't want to have...

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

ultimate question in relation to this board..

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)