MCSE Course Cancellation

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Cain, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Does anyone have experience of cancelling an IT course after it has started? I attended the first week and decided to cancel my career development loan. Now the training company is threatening litigation to force me to pay. Is this legal?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

With anything that you buy there is usually some kind of cooling off period, in which you can decide to change your mind.
    If I were you I'd look very carefully at any small print in anything that you may have signed and see what it says.
    If I'm correct though regardless of what you signed up for you still have your statitory rights where by should you be dissatisfied with the product you can return it (or in your case cancel the course) within the first 28 days.

8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I should have said though that I think you can only claim 'statitory rights' of you are able to prove that what was offered to you wasn't what you were expecting.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Simon. Go over your contract with a fine toothed comb and locate the clause that states the conditions for cancellation including the time frame. If you don't have it in writing, it will be harder to establish should a legal conflict ensue.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Cain

Cain New Member

Many thanks for your quick replies. I signed up with Joskos on 25/07/05 and my course started that day. They took a 50 quid deposit and the rest would have come from a Barclays CDL. I attended the first week which was the A+ course and found the standard of teaching very poor, and the rest of the students seemed to agree. That Friday, I called Barclays and cancelled the CDL. I never went back to Joskos. Now they are (very aggressively) saying I am liable for the full course fees (nearly 5k). The terms and conditions state "100% refund if cancelled more than 14 days before course start date, 50% refund between 11 and 14 days prior to start date, and 0 refund if less than 10 days before". I signed this form on 25/7 but clearly it would have been impossible to cancel under the T&Cs because the course started that day. In addition, the booking form contains the following: "I acknowledge that I am personally responsible to Joskos for the entire course fees". Does this mean I'm screwed? Do you know any more on the 28 day cooling off period? (Barclays gives a 14 day cancellation period for the CDL). Thanks for reading.

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, you can now join the rest of us who've "Bent over, grapped our ankles, and spelled 'run'."

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're screwed.
    But that's a very negative way of looking at it. The best way forward is to make the most of what you've got.
    Look at it this way, you can spend your time and effort fighting this, or you can throw yourself into your studies and come out of it with something to show.

The only sure way of getting out of something like this is to show that they mis-sold the course by offering something that they failed to deliver. Having said that, you would need to point this out to them first and give them a chance to put it right.
    Then it's a battle in the small claims court which you could still lose.

Why exactly are you trying to quit? You mention the teaching standard in the first week wasn't very good, but what are the other pros and cons? Why did you pay this company £5000? There must have been something you liked in the package. Are you sure you're not being affected by peer pressure from other students?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Psycow

Psycow New Member

Please tell me your not being charged £5K just for A+???

If you can't get out of it, just do what the JonnyMX said and put as much effort into the course as you can, since you're paying for it might as well get as much out of it as you can.

Either that or fake your own death and go hang out on some tropical island with Elvis, 2-Pac & Kurt Cobain :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: CCNA MCSA
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

I would go and see your CAB or get a free 15 mins with a lawer and see what they have to say. :biggrin