MCSE bits

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by adrian, Apr 23, 2009.

1. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

The MCSE consists of 3 exams - 2 server ones and a choice of either a XP or vista configuaration exam.

I have no experiance - im totaly entry level, I have just got my A+ which covers XP alot but doesnt touch vista.

Could I simply sit the vista exam - for which id get some kind of printout proof of taking it successfuly, and just use that as a kind of suppliment to my A+?

Can the exams be used in that way, if you were an employer would you only care about full certs or would that extra proof of knoledge in an area that isnt covered by my entry level exam but is still entry level in nature be good?

Certifications: A+ N+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Do you meet these requirements?

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You may want to have a read up on the MCSE as well mate, its not 3 exams, its 7.

Also if you pass one MS exam, you become an MCP. You dont *have* to go after the MCSA/MCSE if you dont want too.

See here.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

well, however many exams - your saying that I could just pick and choose certain exams and thats perfectly acceptable?

the other question is if I were to do the one on vista and maybe the one on xp (its more advanced than what A+ covers?), would they be a good thing to have going into mu first IT job interviews?

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Provided you meet the requirements, yes...

It's not that they are more advanced, the MS exam and Comptia exams tests different skill sets. And yes they would be a good thing to have.

I thing that I have to point out is that is you're going for your first interview in IT, I would strongly recommend forgetting about the MCSE for now. Concentrate on the basic's first (A+, Network+, MCDST and the MCTS Vista), walk before you can run...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Mr.Cheeks

you can choose what ever is on the list, problem is though, you do not have no experience.

7. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

thing about the MCDST and the MCTS Vista is that id have to buy the material for those - also at the moment because im studying with a TP, if I were to fail any MCSE exam they would pay for as many retakes as nessisery. I know thats not a huge thing seeing as If i take the exams when im ready i shouldnt have a problem but still.

and I realise that I shouldnt be going for the full MCSE which is the point of this thread, Iv looked at the requirements for the xp and vista exams, and its all what id expected - how to install and configure and troubleshoot these os's - surely thats entry level stuff and exactly what id need as a first line helpdesk guy?

8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

They certainly wouldn't do you any hard as a lot of desk work is resolving desktop Operating system problems amongst other things. Which TP are you with mate? I'm glad you understand you don't just go straight in for an MCSE, its something you plan and work at over time and experience and is still one of the top IT Certifications. I'm studying for 70-291 Win 2003 Server looking after Network infrastructure and its harder than anything I did on my degree! IMHO. Best of luck and as nXplosi said, just passing one Microsoft exam makes you an MCP which is an achievement in its own right (plus you get a cool card saying your name and MCP : )

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

im with www.comptia-certification.co.uk.

cool about the exam thing, Iv got my N+ in a little over a week - once i have that ill start looking for a job and whilst im looking i just might study for the vista exam :D

10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

How are you finding these guys? Their website seems pretty good

Studying for the Vista exam would earn you the MCTS certification but its generally thought better to go for the 70-270 XP exam purely because 99% of businesses use XP as their Client Desktops. Its going to be some time before Vista is a mainstream Client OS and there's even talk of people missing Vista out altogether and going straight onto Windows 7, such is the disdain for Vista. That said if you really want to go for Vista, all the Microsoft stuff is great IMO and you'll get an MCP and an MCTS 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

yea - i was thinking about the vista thing, just thought seeing as teh A+ already covered xp vista was teh way to go, im assuming the xp exam would be the same? ill check it out in a mo.

As for the TP - I havnt had any complaints - the material is all web based with a slideshow style lesson format. Each exam for each cert is divided into the objective headings and each one of those is a lesson with some questions at the end, and a few practice exams too.

There is also the option to print out a text based versian of the material which is what i did after a while cos it suited me best but then you dont get teh diagrams and pictures and stuff.

In order to get the fail insurance thing they ask that you complete a whole exam section before and check with them before you book which is ok - they dont try to stall you or anything.

I havnt yet actually failed any exams so i dont know how easy it is to drag teh money out of them but i get the feeling that it shouldnt be a problem - they seem nice enough, no hard sales or anything like that.

As for the "we will get you a job in 90 days after your finished" stuff - im fairly dubious about this and im not expecting much but frankly any help is nice, even if its just giving me access to a job board or something

The A+ N+ CCNA and MCSA material cost me £700 for 6 months access and in retrospect I really didnt need all that time considering i only really need the A+ and N+ and the fact that I could have just saved all the material in a matter of hours and done the exams at my leisure since the insurance would ahve been the only thing id have lost after that month, but meh

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

adrian,

Does their coursework include lab work where you actually install and configure Windows onto computers?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

unless it's changed no it doesn't. I was going to go with these lot until I found out about self study and about this place ripping you off and over certifying people.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

there is no lab based stuff - there are some flash simulators where you get a pic of a desktop or window that responds when you click in certain place - nothing fancy.

I dont feel ripped off in any way by them, but then i think thats because i knew exactly what i was getting - i didnt just read the "get certs and get a 30k job in no time" and think brilliant lets throw my money at that for an easy fix.

Im no fool - i researched the certs and i knew it would be self study basically, Im also not stupid enough to think that certs are somehow a free pass to a career, not all TP's are rip offs just because they use a bit of exageration in their advertising, If you belive everyhitng you hear from someone who is trying to sell you somethiung then you deserve to be diapointed. This company have provided EVERYTHING they said they would and imo its only a rip off if they lie about what they do or what youl get for your money.

To make things clear for ppl reading this and considering the TP - the ONLY things you get for your money are the course materials divided into managable sections, msn type comms with people who can answer questions and the deal that if you fail an exam they will pay for a retake.

15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

gotta hate double negatives ;p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  16. Mr.Cheeks

LOL! im just a double negative person :biggrin

17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

But you're already dubious about the veracity of one statement:
    " Job Guarantee, pass your coursework, follow our career advice, and be employed within 90 days or your money back."
    It'll be interesting to see how that one pans out. I reckon it'll go a bit like this:

Student: "I passed all my coursework over 3 months ago but I still don't have a job in IT. Can I get my fees back please.
    TP: "Did you follow our career advice?"
    Student: "Yes, to the letter."
    TP: "Prove it!"
    Student: "Erm...."

Maybe I'm just a cynic.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job