MCSE advice needed

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mcintyi, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mcintyi

mcintyi New Member

Hi guys,

Newbe to CertForums, needing advice on good quality training providers in the London area. I have read some horror stories and companies who over promise and under deliver.

So any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

What's your current experience level? One thing that many training providers will try and do is try and sell you on courses that really aren't appropriate for a persons current experience and skill level.

Have a look around there are quite a few threads on different training providers. I can't really comment on any of the providers in the UK as I'm in the US and have stuck to self-study and University courses.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Definitely need to know your experience level because if you're viewing this as a way to get into IT then you would be doing yourself more harm than good by doing it.

Give us a brief post on who you are\what you know and the kind of experience you have.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. mcintyi

mcintyi New Member

Hi Simon,

My background varies, from hardware & software support on the early MS Platforms 95 - Me inc 2000, IBM AS400, A variety of PBX systems, voice & data network installations. Some Novel stuff mainly admin account creations.

I have installed, played around with and used Macs, XP, Ubuntu. I have been studying for the CCNA and a degree in IT Networks.

My main issue is I have mainly been voice orientated for the past 8 years, so not really any commercial support experience on the data side and finding it hard to get work as I don't have XP, server 2003, active directory etc, etc.

Hence the reason why I have decided to embark down the MCSE route.

I hope this helps.

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A+, N+, MCDST and 70-621 will validate your desktop support experience nicely, I'd advise against diving straight into the MCSE unless you have experience administering Server 2003. Not because I don't think you can do it but because its got little to do with your current experience.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. mcintyi

mcintyi New Member

Thanks for your input.

I think a part of me was hoping to jump to 3rd line support after years in 2nd.