MCSA: Windows 8 best available materials

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Josiahb, May 30, 2013.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Right ladies and gentlemen, I've had sign off from the boss to bring my certifications bang up to date (having not passed a single exam since the days of the old MCDST) and the first step on this road is the MCSA: Windows 8.

Has anyone taken these exams yet and can recommend any (self-study) materials? If you are working on it and have found something decent please feel free to speak up as well!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

there are two types of MS books available:

Configuring Windows 8: Exam Ref 70-687: Amazon.co.uk: Mike Halsey, Andrew Bettany: Books

and

Training Guide: Configuring Windows 8: Amazon.co.uk: Scott Lowe, Derek Schauland, Rick W. Vanover: Books

and I have to presume that they will be good.

I will be studying towards this cert at some point, I presume, but as I hold the MCSA: Win7 already, I will utilise the 1-exam upgrade route (70-689 in this case...).

Maybe you could help us by reporting back on what you find..? :)

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Yes this would be very helpful I too looking to get started?

Have they done away with the MS press?

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

To be honest the lack of available materials for the Win 8 MCSA mean its currently gone on the back burner in favour of Server 2012 training.

I'll still be covering win 8 at some point so may well pick up the books now anyway to see what they are like. My lab is going to have a couple of win 8 clients so I'll have plenty of windows 8 to play with anyway!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10