MCSA exam order

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by sweetdisorder, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

Hello all

long time listener, first time caller. I have a few questions. I am about to sit my 70-621 in a few weeks, then start on the MCSA/MCSE.

Is there a particular order to sit these in, or just best to complete them in numbered order?

I already have the MCDST, and will have the 70-621 MCIPT:EST very soon, and will wait till the 70-682 is out before I tackle that one.

Secondly, any preference to the 70-297, or 70-298? That one is still a while off, so have not focused on it at all, but any info at this time would be good.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), looks like you're on the right track. Just curious any reason why you're not working on the newer certs?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not everyone goes straight to new technology when it's released, there is no reason to think that people shouldn't take the MCSA because it is still relevant.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies and the welcome. To answer your questions, I am doing the desktop O/S exams as they are an easier path to the MCSA, plus they are more certs of the cv.

Secondly, my work is solidly XP/server 2k3 with very small bits of vista/Win7 and server 2008 thrown in. That will change in time, but only by my client's IT demands.

Thirdly, I am looking at going into IT consulting (small business) in 2-3 years, so I want proof to back up my experience. I have been in IT since 1993, but for the the 90's and a half of last decade I was working in novell netware shops; was only till about 2004 that I finally worked on my last netware server and started working with server 2k3. I hadn't needed any certs at that point, but I am wanting then now, so I feel I want to fill in all the blanks so to speak. I hope this makes some sense.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just go for whichever you're strongest in first.
    Apart from that, it doesn't really matter.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Awesome way to introduce yourself!! :thumbleft Welcome! :biggrin

In my opinion, it makes the most sense to do them in numerical order. 290 and 291 are part of the MCSA, with 291 generally being regarded as harder than 290, and 293 and 294 are part of the MCSE, with 293 building off of 291.

I'd recommend taking whichever exam relates more to what you have experience doing. I took 70-298.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Concerning 297 and 298, the decision I guess is partly based on what suits your workplace's needs. Your IT manager or supervisor may point you in the right direction. Same with the elective paper; if your workplace uses SQL, it may suit to do the SQL elective, or the ISA elective if ISA is used at the workplace.

I agree with Boson's assessment; some papers feed off others and it is better to do certain papers in order when the material is fresh in the mind.

8. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

I did the following and found each one harder than the one before so am glad I did them in that order.

MCDST
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291

Now thinking about MCSE

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA