MCSA 2000 to 2003.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Reders, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Hi,

Some advice please.

Once i get my MCSA do you think it is worth using the upgrade path to Server 2003 straight away, or would it be better to wait a while? (Until i secure that first job and see what's required.)

Which books would you use? Microsoft or Sybex?

Any comments greatfully received.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you've got the time and the money, why not? I mean, when you upgrade to 2003 it's not like you lose all the knowledge you have regarding 2000 and you (theoretically) are then qualified to work in both a 2000 or 2003 or a mixed 2000/2003 environment. Once you get that first magic job, you may or may not have the time to study and prepare for the upgrade.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Always keep your exams as current as you can - proves you are willing to learn new things.

I've got the MS book by Orin a massive tome but well worth the money (and the first MS book I really like but I know Orin from Certutors.net)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So how is Orin as a writer, Sandy? Any difference in his presentation than his posts?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just to add a slightly different slant to Reder's original question, what would you Guys' views be on upgrading to MCSA 2003 prior to completing the w2k MCSE route ?

I'm following this with interest, as my new employers currently run a fully w2k environment, but are very keen for employees to continue gaining MS quals.

Your opinions will be gratefully received.... :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Gav,

Do they have any offices in the south of England? :lol: :roll:

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL ! :lol: I'm not even in the door yet, and your the second person dropping hints at me :P

'fraid they're just based up here for now (mind you, give me 6 months....)

:D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Gav,

Just know you would be a geat guy to work for...when are you interviewing!! :wink:

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav

DON'T even think of starting W2K03 until you are a MCSE. Get that one under our belt then take your time. If you are in a full W2K environment then that is what you should be aiming for. At times I wish I was XP on the desk, W2K for our NT servers (with 1 or 2 W2Ko3 to play with) HP-UX 11i and Linix for out other servers.

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Trip

He is joint editor so I have yet to find anything that I can see as his...

It is a book just stuffed with facts! So far I like it - I am using the Masi (spelling) as my other study manual.

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sandy

Is this book for both the upgrade exams. Thinking of doing this to keep current like. Knowing your past feelings on MS Press do you think it is worth the money.

Cheers

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Andrew,

I've been working my way slowly through it for the last couple of months. It covers both upgrade exams though the chapters aren't grouped around the exams, they are by subject with notes at the bginning of each chapter detailing which exam each section covers. The style is different to previous MS study guides I've used, it seems to be study guide combined with readiness review and is an improvement. My plan is to read it cover to cover to get a feel for the whole thing then go back and pick out the exam specific stuff as revision. We'll see if it works :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade