MCPs valid for how long

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Davidh1819, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Ok you guys have probly heard this question many times about how long MCPs are valid for(sorry) i need a straight answer becuase i have heard so many diffrent answers from many people which change according to certification

i have been told MCPs are valid for life? and MCDST MCSE is valid for life but MCITPs are only valid for 3 years i have heard

if so if for example i gain MCITP: Enterprise Support in 3 years time will that dissapear form my transcipt or have the words expired next to it?

in fact does a transcipt ever get altered over time ?

thank you

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Hi David

No Microsoft Certification currently "expires" but exams and certifications do have a life. Exams are dicontinued but you will always retain the qualification you earn. For example I still have my MCSE NT4 not that it is relevant anymore.

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With the old track of MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE, the credentials held will be for life, until Microsoft changes that policy.

With the new track: MCTS/MCITP, these certifications retire when mainstream product support ends. That means support for the product or technology. It use to be that the MCTS retired when the mainstream product support ended and the MCITP had to be renewed every 3 years, but MS did a U-turn on that.

To my knowledge, MS hasn't made it's mind up on how it's going to do this, whether they will remove the certification from the transcript or keep it there and mark it as retired (See here).

Most likely, if alot of people speak up, it will stay on your transcript but just marked as retired. But we'll have to wait and see...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Until Microsoft say otherwise...

:tune

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Kinda reminds me of the end of Blade Runner ! :D

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hmm, the Tyrell corporation - evil corporate giant developing artificial intelligence prone to malfunctions and causing distress to mankind - and, er, Microsoft...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD