MCITP - Support Technician or Administrator?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by olp01, Jan 16, 2012.

1. olp01

olp01 New Member

Hi all just started studying for exam 70-680.

I don't know what would be best for me to do after though, out of these 2 options...

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    Exam 70-680
    Exam 70-685

or

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
    Exam 70-680
    Exam 70-686

I currently work as a 2nd line ICT technician and would like to stay in that field, but on more moneys and also getting more involved with 3rd line stuff.
    Which one of this 2 MCITP's are more relevant to me?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I'd say definitely EDST7.

Desktop Administration is quite a 'niche' area but remember that you can 'use' your 680 towards multiple certifications, so there's nothing to stop you adding EDA7 after completing the EDST7.

I'm certainly looking at this as my next step, although 70-640 may be a better way forward for me at the moment as I may be coming to the end of my current contract this year and it has changed over the last 18 months from purely Desktop to including much more server-side stuff...

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Go for the DST which is 70-680 and 70-685 exams.

The 70-686 is heavily focused on enterprise deployment and system life cycles - something that you won't really experience until you are given charge of deployments.

Also, a lot of the 70-686 content would (hopefully) already exist in the enterprise environment.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. olp01

olp01 New Member

Thanks for the replies!

Right so I'm basically going to write on my CV "Currently self-studying towards MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7".

I think you're right, the desktop support SKILLS are going to apply to so many more jobs on the market than the desktop administrator.
    i mean jobs that are relevant to what i want to do.

anyone else got an answer for me?

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The 70-686 is really only usefull if you're working in an MDT\SCCM type environment where you're utilising those products to deploy the OS. I have the EDA exam and found it really easy to pass but that's because I have a back ground in SCCM and OSD.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. olp01

olp01 New Member

Yeah see I've never come across those things in my 8 years of working in IT.

But then when I look at Exam 70-685, it's all stuff I already know so I think it will be easy(ish) to pass.
    And I think to myself, surely my 8 years experience of it means more?

Whereas the Exam 70-686 is something completely new to learn and add to my CV.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certification is used to prove you know and can do the job.

You shouldn't certify in something you don't know or use.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. olp01

olp01 New Member

Ok so I've just found out today that the MCITP is being phased out now?!?

I've had my training on hold for a while now because of personal stuff but just as I'm getting back into the book I find out this!
    Is there any point in doing it! I can't really just wait around untill the next thing comes along, I wanna get certified!

9. Naj

Naj Bit Poster

Lol, only yesterday, I decided to start with the 70-680 (70-686 next) to obtain MCITP. I saw that most MCITP exams are being phased out by this time next year. I too would like to know peoples' opinions on this but I think it is still worth going for. You get certified on Server 2008 and have the upgrade path from MCITP to the new MSCE.

Certifications: NA
  10. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

if someone could point me in the direction of this information I would be happy to share my opinion...
    All MS Certs gained now are to last the length of time that the technology it covers lasts for.
    So, Win7 certs (whichever ones they are) will be active until after Win7 itself becomes unsupported.

HTH.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as an update to be clear.

The MCTS/MCITP exams for Win7 will not be availbale to earn after 31st July 2013, that is all.
    Unlike the comparable Vista exams, they are NOT retiring and so are still valuable to earn.
    I presume that there will be an announcement about a comparable MCS... certification(?)

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  11. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

My 2 cents?

To me "Retired" means "deadline". It means if you faff about too long you'll lose out: you'll no longer be able to get that certification.
    This is where people are now with the MCDST - you can't really get it any more.

Wheras when it comes to jobs, you need the right skillset for the job. And certs show skillsets. So employers who use XP a lot in their environment (and there are still a LOT) will like to see MCDST on someone's CV. So even though you can't get it any more, and soon the technology will become unsupported and certification will be retired entirely - organisations don't care about that - they will want the skills for as long as they use the technology. Looking XP I think that may be a while.

Server 2008 seems to have been pretty well received, so I imagine it'll hang around a while. It depends how big an improvement 2012 is (so far I like it TBH)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  12. olp01

olp01 New Member

Right, I have decided I am going to buck up my ideas and get this MCITP done!
    I have 1 whole year to do it in!

It's either do this or wait a whole year for whatever they change it to and start again from there. I don't like this option.