MCITP Query

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Crazydave1990, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I'm currently studying the CCNA (in my own time, not taking the exam yet or anything), and I've realised simply having the CCNA wouldn't really be enough to help me get a job, so I'm also looking at the MCITP.

I was just wondering, where is the best place to start with this, as alot of the books I've read seem to be throwing me in at the deep-end, so to speak... with little or no explanation to what things are...

Help please guys

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hi Dave, what type of experience do you have in the IT world?

MCITP's are for someone with at least a years experience. They're not for learning a system, but rather proving you know it. Of course there are parts you might not know in full depth, but you should at least have some knowledge of whatever you're certifying in.

The same goes for a CCNA. Unless you're using Cisco equipment, the certification is just a piece of paper and a deterrant for most employers.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

You could start with the Win 7 desktop MCPs first or get a good a broad basic knowledge from doing the A+ and N+ before starting the MCITP.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

thanks for your reply, I've currently got an FdSc in Computer Science - I've got programming knowledge etc, but on my course they ever really taught us much in regards of what a company actually needs, I feel like my qual is pretty damn useless tbh.

I'm using dynamaps atm, I'm finding networking fairly simple tbh, I'm gunna get myself a cisco router soon to get used to the configuration abit more - but like I said, having just a CCNA isn't enough - thus my interest in an MCITP, I do have some knowledge in active directory and stuff, but, I just don't know where to start tbh =/

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you have any commercial experience in Windows at all? If not then I really wouldn't be looking at the MCITP just yet. Microsoft recommend between 12 and 18 months experience using the product before attempting the certification.

Please remember that certifications are there to prove your experience not to get your foot into the IT industry.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, this exactly.

The 1st question a recruitment agency/prospective employer will ask about is experience, they may then want to know about education/certification you have to back this up.

If it's the case that you have no industry experience at all then try volunteer work and go for a CompTIA A+ to start with.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...