MCE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just wondering, is media centre edition 2005 based on home or pro, i cant find any info that says one way or another.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is based on Pro - but the ability to join a Domain is removed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Erm cough - Mine is joined to my domain 8)

You have to do this during windows setup though as the option to join a domain after windows is installed is not there.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How Bizarre! The MS Press books I read for the 270, 271 were banging on about how it is best to select workgroup on install and join the domain once installed. :blink

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

According to M$ docs that I have seen (but can't put my hand on at the moment) the ability to join a domain in Media centre was removed in later versions. It was possible in earlier ones.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mine is Media Center 2005, I believe it is the latest and greatest :rolleyes:

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have done a bit of googling and there is a lot of misinformation being banded around even by Microsoft.

I can tell you for a fact that MCE 2005 if joined to a domain during setup will behave like any other XP Pro box that is a domain member.

From Microsoft site experts chat http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04december16.mspx

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is because real world experience and reading books often lead to different perceptions.

Hands on is as important as reading. I can speak from experience, I can read what others have experienced but it is not as good as getting your hands dirty and trying things out yourself. Sure you can chose to go for workgroup or ignore setting up a network altogether during setup. It can all be done later. But, for the exams, you often have to give an answer that uses the method with the least amount of administrative effort. Hence unattended installs with answer files are heavily tested.

However MCE is different because you can't join a domain from the GUI but you can during setup hence if you want it to be a member of the domain, you need to do that before windows has installed fully.