MCDST - What you need to know.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by nugget, Feb 4, 2009.

1. PoshBlue

PoshBlue Bit Poster

I was assuming you had read both books. whether this is right or not i dont know. If you have then i'm hoping you could tell me if the mspress book does in fact "go on for days about a topic that should take only a page to explain" or carries far more information, thus making that book the better buy over the sybex. I'm in a position where i can only afford to buy one book and really want the best advice from people who really know what they're talking about.

WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

If you want this advice, check out reviews on Amazon. From what I can tell you from previous experience with working with Sybex books, they go in to great detail but leave some things out. Every one here will tell you the best practice is to revise with at least two different sources to overlap each other in certain areas, because one book will not cover every aspect of the tests 100%. From previous experiences and what I am doing know, I would go with the MSPress books. If by the end of reading them and doing ALL the labs and practice quizzes you do not feel up to snuff for the tests troll around some discount book stores, you can probably find a copy of the Sybex on the cheap at a place like that.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

IF you can only buy one book- then get the MS press book. It has a lot of content in there, including the trial of Windows XP, the practise exams and a 15% discount voucher. Not only that but it has the useful links in the back of the book + many questions.

However, if at all possible, get both. I used both the MS press book and the Sybex and there were things that the MS book left out. The sybex book has both the exam material in one- which is a bonus.

4. PoshBlue

PoshBlue Bit Poster

thanks for your replies. I think with your help i'm getting on the right track. another thing i'm slightly confused about is that a lot of people are saying bout A+ and N+ before mcdst. is that necessary and why?

WIP: A+, MCDST
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Unless you have professional experience, I'd definitely recommend you do the A+ first. The A+ covers all the basic hardware/networking/OS knowledge that will serve as a foundation for your future studies.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not required... but I would recommend it. Why? The knowledge you learn from one will help you with the others. And the A+ is the foundation upon which the others rest.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. JonT

JonT Bit Poster

Just to let you know I bought the PrepLogic Mega Guide from their site and it had gone down in price from $33 to $1! Bought the 70-271 and 70-272 books for $2 :) Don't know how long this around for so grab it while you can. These should go nicely along side my MS press books

WIP: MCDST
  8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

It's been on pretty much every weekend for I don't know how long now. Almost as bad as DFS...

9. nawraniomer

nawraniomer New Member

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you're still around I'd recommend getting a couple of books and sitting down and reading. It's basically the same as any distance learning provider will get you to do. By doing self study the only differences are that firstly you save money and secondly you don't have the 'tutor' support at the end of a telephone (but you have us :p ).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Garply

Garply New Member

Hi,
    I was wondering whether the Sybex book covers everything that's necessary to take and pass the exams? The reason I'm asking is because I was at the book store and the Sybex book that covers both exams in one seems to be a little thin. The MS press training kit books look a lot bigger - I think just one training kit book looks bigger or same size as the one Sybex.

I'm looking to purchase the MS press books but for frugal reasons would the Sybex book alone be enough?

Thanks.

WIP: CCNA
  12. Col

Col Byte Poster

I'm currently studying for the MCDST and found that while the Sybex book is good (and comes with a decent CD ROM) that it's not really been enough. I found I moved on the MS Press books. I would say Sybex good for brushing up and the MS Press for the hardcore study...

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  13. Outmyowl

Outmyowl Banned

Guys, I am looking at all those links you posted to 70-271, 70-272 books. ... and I am also not sure if it is legal to post here links to same book .pdf, which I got completely for free. So I will not post them here for the sake of "unknown rules" (just lazy to read ) :rolleyes:

If somebody wants these books. Send me a private message here and they are yours :blink :))))

Certifications: MSDST
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No it's not legal to pass on braindumps and copyright material.

Too bad for you. Too lazy to read is not an excuse.

Not a chance.

We don't tolerate cheaters and people that that pass on copright materials here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  15. premier martin

premier martin Bit Poster

Great post nugget thanks and it got me thinking of this test but i think mentioning the courses that have garunteed 100% passes is a slippery slope as i would say you cant train a monkey to pass all the tests and i would say that they do some times false advertise like the ones that garuntee jobs too they can get you the interview but not garuntee the job so it is always down to the individual at the end of the day but some of the responsability is on the ones that garuntee passes

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Check out post number 9 above from BosunMichael. He explains why.:biggrin