MCDST vs CompTIA A+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by steve008, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

It isn't neccessarily listed as a job requirement so much, It just gives you the knowledge and recognition that you're familiar with the basics, all I.Temployers are aware of the A+ , regardless to which side of the pond, well I should hope that's the case anyway :blink :D

WIP: MCDST
  2. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I'm finding out that the IT support/helpdesk part of my job focusses on how you deal with people. I think your people skills are the most important part - for the user and your fellow IT techs.

The icing on the cake is your technical knowledge, however, I hate to say it, but after hours of studying and reading manuals on printers, users simply don't give a rats a** if you have got an IT qualification they just want there computer problem sorted out. However, if you give them bad service because you dont have half decent people skills, you are probably going to hear about it from your manager sooner or later...

I've learnt that most IT departments with a support function with have a support programme for IT requests/tickets like Remedy/altiris etc, so maybe demonstrating on your CV and at interview that you can be an red hot administrator and a tech (which is backed up by your MCDST) is a good thing too - you said you did lots of paper work, you must be a pro by now :)

I would say go for the A+ as it shows you are serious about IT to your employer but I reckon more importantly, keep applying for jobs while you are studying for it.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. good luck

H

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds like you're getting it (or reading too many Microsoft MS Press books)

:)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think gingerdave is right on this one, the main crux of the matter is the natural flow of certs is a+ n+ then onto microsoft ones, which is why theres a hot debate about it. Although it is a different exam and without a decent grasp on hardware you are really crippling your knowledge. Like software, things change really quickly in the hardware world (proberbly more so than the software) but the A+ will give you a great start on recognising when something is wrong/failed or whatever. You never know what oportunities you will be presented with in the future and without knowing what to do when you open the bonnent and peer through the dust, then you are effectively damning yourself to a lifetime in firstline.

Studying is never a waste of time as its all about learning things you didnt know before, but going any higher than an MCDST at the moment may be a negative thing for your career. If you think people maybe scared of your degree then leave it off your CV, you dont have to mention every qualification you have.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

A+ and N+ give a sound ground level knowledge and IMHO it's essential to know how the hardware works and not just the software as MS are bothered about.

I, like many, did the A+ & N+ before going on to use them as an elective towards the MCSA which I gained last year

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Disagree. Anything you can do to set yourself ahead of the competition is worthwhile... and having BOTH will set you ahead of your competition.

...except two incredibly worthwhile certifications. :rolleyes:

While the world does tend to use Microsoft... that's not the only thing out there. I'd rather have someone well-rounded.

You're never "forced to choose". You can always do both. It may not be easy, and you may not instantly have the funds, and you may have to do one first and then the others... but you never have to settle for one OR the other.

But you don't get ANY experience getting EITHER certification. Certification does not equal experience; it is not a valid substitute. And knowing the theory behind something, even Microsoft stuff, is not experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. steve008

steve008 New Member

Thanks again all. I am going to go for both A+ and N+, but not sure whether to do that while Prometric (exam provider for MCDST exams) sort out their technical error that's been going on for months. I took the 70-271 and failed. only needed 3/4 more questions correct : (. Any advice, again please?

8. BosonMichael

Well, the MCDST *does* cover hardware (see here under the section Configuring and Troubleshooting Hardware Devices and Drivers), but it covers them from a Windows XP perspective. Thus, I believe it IS a good idea to do the A+, N+ *and* MCDST... not just the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

In pure regards to going for an interview I think the MCDST is a lot more useful than A+.

It may be worthwhile listing that you are MCP qualified just incase people are searching CVs for keywords.

I phoned up a few agencies when I had my A+ and most asked if I had any MCPs or other qualifications before telling me that there was nothing available.

In Britain I definitely think the MCPs hold a lot more weight than CompTia

For actual knowledge base and so you have a fuller grounding I would do A+ & N+, you will be covering old ground but it also gives you a lot of information as to why things happen rather than just that they do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

No but it is the majority player. In the real world, there are not many businesses that use anything other M$ products, if I was recruiting I would rather have someone who has proof that they can service the products I use, as opposed to has shaky knowledge of M$ and *nix. the *nix is no good to me and the MS knowledge isn't enough.

There is a time and a place and at times you will be forced to choose one or the other, saying you can always go back and do it later it a huge cop out, that's like saying I missed a maths exam when I was 7, but now, years later when I have my Maths degree I will return and sit said exam, for the sake of completeness.

Very true, backing it up with experience is necessary, but pointing out that without experience the certs aren't worth the paper they are printed on isn't helping. The posters lack of experience was mentioned further up the thread, with suggestions being made to assist in gaining experience.

We all know that the certs are, in reality to get you past a HR sift so that your experience and knowledge can talk in the interview, pointing out to a novice poster that the certs he has done so far are useless without said experience is not helpful, and not the normal nurturing attitude that you normally post with/ Are you ill? :biggrin

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. BosonMichael

I never said that to the original poster... I was replying to Qs comment regarding experience. Qs was equating certification with "getting experience", and although he likely meant well, it's a bad choice of words. It's not experience.

Hey, if you don't see my advice as nurturing, then I guess you'll have to stand in the whine and complain line with everyon else. :rolleyes: I'm not ill... until someone starts pulling the "why aren't you being helpful?" card. :dry

12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certification, or rather the study for it is great for learning new techniques, but it isnt the same as proper experience even if you set up labs etc

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Then I apologise for not reading it correctly, I thought that was directed at the original poster. The Are you ill was intended more as a joke as normally i do find your posts helpful, there was never any malicious intent or offence ment.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I would agree with other comments in this thread that the A+ (and N+) are definitely worth pursuing as well as the MCDST. The A+ because of the heavy hardware emphasis and the N+ is a great foundation for the future, especially if you decide to go on to certs like the MCSA or CCNA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. BosonMichael

Exactly my point, Kev! Muchly appreciated. :)

16. BosonMichael

Apology accepted, and I thank you for the compliment. :)

17. Qs

My comments were from purely from a 'if it were me' situation - and I guess I did go a bit white/black on it.

I was probably tired lol.

I did say in my original responce that the MCDST was more attractive for me, and what I would do if I were in the OP's shoes.

Obviously getting all the certifications (A+, N+ and MCDST) would put you in a far better starting point (when combined with some real-word experience) in order to get an entry level job in I.T.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. Qs

Oh, I wasn't saying this at all - I think you misunderstood BM. I meant that experience is seen as more beneficial than certain entry level qualifications when applying for entry level I.T jobs and that's what I recommend that the OP get - real world experience - to complement his proposed certifications and hopefully get on the I.T ladder. :)

I wasn't saying that by doing the previously mentioned certifications that that would somehow be equivalent to real word experience, because it wouldn't.

Hope this clears it up. :)

Qs