MCDST Study Blog - 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Arroryn, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Congrats hun, was it worth all the worry? i bet it was! I've re-booked mine thanks to teh nice folks at prometric allowing me to as ididnt even get to teh last test due to my car. (shows it pays to complain!) But i can only book it for 4 weeks but cant get time off work yet so will have to keep re-booking it for now until next year.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hey, where's my scantily clad lady? lol. :rolleyes:

It was well worth the stress, Twizz.

I'm a few pints of Staropramen down the road, so I'll definitely wait until tomorrow to post my 'Jerry Springer final thoughts'

But it was a bugger, I'll say that much for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thought youd prefer this??

[​IMG]

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey, well done you ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Arroryn

Twizz...... now THAT'S a picture a lady likes to see :biggrin

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thats what i show teh g/f every night when we go to bed, before the lights go off. Then i here her snigger in the dark when she hugs me...... and says, "pity you only look like that in my dreams!"

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done You would rather see these two than that model bloke wouldn't you? :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Arroryn

lol. That just reminds me of the episode of 'Two pints of lager and a packet of crispts...' with Donna... 'to me, to you...'

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Funny, but soooooooooooo so wrong.

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

A belated congrats! x

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  11. Arroryn

Okay okay okay.

70-271. The exam I kept telling Zeb and Facebook that I wouldn't pass.

As you may have noticed from the "blog" the studies seemed to degenerate into me not posting chapter summaries, and whinging about how poorly prepared I felt.

This is possibly because I stopped reading all the book :rolleyes:

In my true, impatient and bored sty-lie I started skim-reading parts of the book I though I already knew (because of my experience) or really lacked the motivation to read. This went on for about two weeks after I rescheduled my exam due to feeling 'unprepared', so I was obviously helping myself out! :)

Around a week before the exam this time, someone slapped me metaphorically round the face one morning and went "you haven't registered second shot and you really can't afford to whazz £88 up the wall on an exam" so I went back to the notes I had taken on the exam objective areas I thought I was weak on.

In the week preceeding the exam I crammed up on NTFS permissions and the standard pernickety details on upgrading to XP from A.N Other platform, as well as browsing the "key points" chapter summaries in the MS Press book.

Exam day itself, I was bricking it. I must have gone to the loo eight times in the four hours I was in town prior to the exam, I was that nervous. Mind you, four Venti Starbucks probably didn't assist matters any....

I booked my exam at QA IQ in the centre of Birmingham (just offSmallbrook Queensway) I was hesitant at first, hearing the mixed press on Prometric testing centres on here. I have to say, I was very impressed, and if you are even vaguely near Birmingham use this testing centre. I chose it above going to one in Coventry, and I was glad. Nice, light, pleasant. There is a seating area and drinks machines for if you rock in early and want to study a little more before going into the exam... overall, ten out of ten. Well, the PC I took the test on was a bit caggy, but it didn't ask me to upgrade it halfway through the exam so I'm not so fussed!! :)

Booking in was simple as a simple thing, and it turned out they'd had a cancellation so I got to go in a little early. She did ask if I wanted to study some more, but I'd spent the preceeding hours sat on a couch in Starbucks cramming, so I was more than ready to get the torture over and done with.

The exam itself wasn't anti-climactic I'd say, if I hadn't got any corporate experience I feel hand on heart that I certainly wouldn't have passed.

But the objectives all seemed to 'meld' into one another and despite the ranging topics covered in the book, the exam doesn't do it justice (trying to describe this without breaking the NDA). In short... C- could do better. They could make it a lot more challening and interesting, whilst not increasing the *difficulty* level at all. Just MO.

Also, having seen Microsoft's actual questions now, I'm seriously considering bashing an email off to them to recommend they withdraw their 'readiness review suite' from their 70-271 book.

The quality of the written material in the book is excellent; it was my own poor motivation that hindered my progress, but the book was still presented in such a way that what I read did stick and when I did pull my finger out, I did find it interesting.

The Readiness Review suite disc is paltry and pathetic in comparison, and I personally recommend that if you want to do test questions, buy Transcender or some other material - the questions in the suite on that disc are inappropriately long-winded, poorly worded, sometimes downright incorrect, and I found the use of the disc soul destroying in the extreme.

I know BM said something along the lines of "what do you expect for something free with a book?"

All I'll say in response to that is with my CCENT Cisco Press book, I get a 3 month Safari subscription and some test questions from Boson... with the kind of resources Microsoft have available to them, they could have made their accompanying disc a lot, lot better.

But, that all being said, I don't think 783 was a bad score given my almost apathetic slump in the middle of studying and the nervous wreck I was going in to the exam.

70-272 next.... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

thanks for watching. You've been a great audience.

12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

From my experience the 70-272 exam is easier, so im sure youll pass that one as well, I must admit both were very boring exams, they seemed to be very dull questions, and I think that they give too much time so the adrenaline isnt there as much as the cisco exams which are edge of seat time lol (one extreme to the other)

Best of luck with your next exam, tbh id go down the 2nd shot route, get that exam booked asap (ie 1/2 weeks) and cram, if you have a bad day that day at least it will be free to retake and you will know your weaknesses.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Lol, they actually live in the next village to me

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm I guess I could of said it with flowers LOL!

Attached Files:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sorry for the late one! Congrats on the pass, please dont beat me!

16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well done - bet you're happy thats done :D

I found the 272 easier, and also more interesting!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Major congrats Dawn! :D

18. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

I was so self-absorbed that I only just saw that you passed it!

That's huge news! So the blog is done with?

Maybe I should start a new one!

Congratulations!!!!!

WIP: 70-271
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I did indeed. 8)

You didn't get test questions from Boson... you got some test questions written by Cisco Press using the Boson testing engine. Huge difference.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Arroryn

I stand corrected. Welcome back :hug :rolleyes: