MCDST Study Blog - 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Arroryn, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Good luck on your resit, Rick. Let us know how you get on.

My problem hasn't been motivation really, it's been scheduling. I've finished the 70-271 MS Press book now (so just need to update my blog! :rolleyes:)

My problem has been scheduling the time to study. A point which is emphasised by the fact that it's 5:30am. On a Sunday. And I'm in work. We really do do this for love, don't we :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Arroryn

Okay, so scheduling myself in a break has helped *massively*

I finished reading the 'studying' section of the MS Press book (not the 'prepare for the exam section').

I studiously *didn't* do the end of chapter questions when I finished the chapter. Instead, I waited till the end to go over the objective review questions... wait for it... at the end of the book (duh).

I don't think questions at the end of the chapter particularly reaffirm information very well, especially as you normally answer these questions right after finishing the chapter, so the information is prevalent and fresh in your mind.

If I get more than one wrong in the objective review sections, I'm flagging up that lesson as needing reviewing. So far to say, I'm glad I have only two of the lessons marked :)

However, with regards to Chapter 5 - Supporting Windows XP File and Folder Access - I would certainly read this more than once, and take careful notes (without regurgitating the entire chapter on notepaper). There is a lot of information to take in here, and if you haven't really worked with local level permissions before it's worth a slow... steady... read. Which I found difficult with my skimming nature.

To get past this, I have started reading complicated sections of the book out loud. I was a bit embarassed about doing it myself at first, and was worried I would drive the other half nuts. But once I got over the fact that he didn't give two hoots, I realised it was really helping me to digest information more. When you're reading out loud, you're forced to not skim over information. Just a little tip some others may want to give a bash :)

With regards to Chapter 5, I would give special attention to lesson 2... I had to re-read that one myself twice. There's a lot of information in a relatively short lesson.

There have been some interesting limitations in how they treat certain things 'technically' as well.

The most notable example is in configuring your desktop, and, for example, having an extended desktop. They mention that you could have a VGA or DVI connected monitor and (basically) nothing else, which strictly isn't correct. Yeah I know I'm a special case, but I have a small form factor Dell. I couldn't be bothered to find a relevant graphics card to get my other monitor hooked up, and didn't fancy mucking about. So I stole a USB replicator for our laptops with VGA, USB and ethernet... and *wham* technically... a USB monitor :biggrin

Anyway... tangents...

Also as an aside, I was trying to find an errata for this book on Microsoft's site and typed in the ISBN, but couldn't come up with anything. Does anyone know how to track the errata down (or indeed, if it even exists?)

I have to admit after Chapter 5, I did restart the skimming slightly, especially as I came across topics I was more and more confident with (supporting printers, troubleshooting network connectivity, et al).

I did slow back down (regards to reading) when I came to Chapter 8 - Supporting Storage Devices. Whilst I am fluent and confident in the basics, I have never implemented dynamic discs, and never done anything special on any machines with regards to RAID and so wanted to give this chapter the attention it evidently needed.

But this technically takes me back to the beginning of the post.

Like I said, as I have now finished the book, I am taking the objective review questions and marking the lessons of those chapters for re-review. I have rough notes from all the chapters that I could do with smartening up and re-writing. I'm also considering getting the Exam Cram in the run-up to the exam itself to swot on questions, but I don't particularly want to get into the mindset of expecting certain question types and "spoiling" myself for the exam. Plus, I've heard the Cram for 70-271 is quite poorly constructed both in the quality of the questions asked, and in accuracy - can anyone confirm this?

Overall, the MS-Press book has been quite good. It wasn't difficult to read, and was tech-friendly. The chapters are in a nice logical order to build on previously-read information. I wouldn't trust on it being the only source of material though for someone that had, say, the standard "6 months helpdesk experience". In this instance, I would definitely get another tome such as the Sybex book, to have a better overall feel for the material.

Having said that, I haven't passed the exam yet - I may yet still need the Sybex book myself :biggrin

Will let you know how the next mock I do goes. The exam itself is in the morning of 9th October (2 weeks today).

3. Arroryn

ROFL.

I'm just doing a practise in the Readiness Review suite that came with the 70-271 MS Press book.

A question in there asks you to choose an option from the dialogue box shown, to configure a setting in Windows Firewall.

Beneath the question is the 'Power Options' dialogue box.

*sigh*

The questions in this thing are pathetic. No wonder I keep only getting 50% - 60%.

Studying Microsoft certs is just depressing.

One question was "which upgrade path should a user use to upgrade from NT4.0 to XP Pro?"

I answered 'clean install of XP Pro' as it didn't specify that SP5 was applied.

But the answer was 'direct upgrade if the customer has SP5 applied'... but... the question didn't state SP5 was applied... how the heck am I meant to answer that correctly.

Grrrrrrrr. And. Depressed. And miserable. And :dry

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I really found the questions in the MS Readiness Review for this subject misleading and difficult to follow.

However, it does help you get ready for the types of questions that MS ask.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Dont worry too much, the thing with MS exams is that they are long, i read them about three times before i get a clear picture after the chapter of information they give you, but they generally dont trick you in that way, also when you finish the exam you can add comments about the question as that really is an unfair question but i guess it makes you remember the answer ;).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

High-quality questions are worth every penny. :thumbleft

Just sayin'. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Ask me that a few months ago i would have answered the same as you. However, since studying A+ i would have answered upgrade.

You sound a bit like me i have been in IT on and off for 15 years, never bother about certs until now and tend to answer these questions as if they're current real word. I found that I have to stop myself reading into questions too much, I actually find this difficult.

Of course it would help to have seen the whole question exactly because there may have been more information in it.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

TBH several years ago i looked into certification, ms exams, however when i bought a book i just couldnt get my head around the questions, as they all seemed to be really long winded, so that put me off for a good while.

They do take getting used too, after 6 or 7 exams I feel comfortable now, but they are another aspect and if you want to achieve in this field its a necessary evil.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. Arroryn

Well I'll see how my motivation stands for the world of MS on Thursday afternoon, but as things stand my morale on the subject matter is pretty low.

Virtually all of my work experience with XP has been in a domain environment, which has left me with a low opinion of the 'real-life relevancy' of the stuff 70-271 has to offer.

Sure enough, there have been some elements of the material (USMT, local GPO) that I have found interesting, but the rest of it (to me) has been... shash. And a lot of the time, where the questions are concerned, very poorly worded shash. This may be the poorly revised state of the MS Readiness review suite, and BM is quite right - high quality questions would be filling me with confidence. Probably.

I think I need to take Andi's advice and try to 'alienate' myself from my current experiences. I'm not getting things wrong because I don't know "my stuff" but I am getting them wrong because I seem to disagree with the way Microsoft does things :rolleyes:

Hey ho. I bet I'm not the only person currently in the world with this problem. But right now... I have users to support. *sigh*

10. Arroryn

Just did what will probably be my last 'readiness test' from the MS Press book.

I have to say, I do not recommend using the readiness suite as a revision tool at all, unless Microsoft have reissued the CD as a download on their site, correcting numerous grammar and spelling mistakes, and just plain godawful mistakes with answers, their scoring engine and... well... the whole terrible... thing. The Exam Cram books would possibly be a better idea in this instance.

Got 71% this time. Pfft.

11. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

the questioning style for mcdst is very off putting,i knew this coming into this course,and i saw it as a challenge to work out a way to make these questions simpler.

I'm not enjoying this subject at all,as you often feel after doing some questions that you are back at the start with no knowledge.
    I don't even do practice runs at the moment as i get so bored reading these microsoft questions,as oposed to the A+ where i enjoyed doing practice questions all the time.

The question style is perfect on the a+ ,quick questions,straight to the point,and can be read in a minute or less.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  12. BosonMichael

What do you expect with, "Free with purchase of book"? :D

Books != practice exams... unless they've started including practice exams in their books. They had a short stint with PrepLogic, but I don't think that lasted long.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Arroryn

Well, tomorrow be the day.

So how do you think I spent today?

Well I had to drive in the region of around 200 miles for work. So I spent this evening playing Wii Sports - tennis, mainly :rolleyes:

My MS Press book is next to me, but to tell you the truth, I've become so apathetic about this exam over the last few weeks. I know I'm not in the right frame of mind for it, but I know that, hand on heart, I've done this job for nigh on two years, and I *should* pass. Not saying I will obviously, by any stretch of the imagination. But I should, and if I do fail, I'll only really have myself (and apathy) to blame.

Enthusiasm helps when it boils down to it. And right now, boy I have absolutely none.

Thanks for all the support I've had. You know who you are, you kind bastards :)

14. BosonMichael

How dare you call me kind? :dry

:p

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I have just been informed that our resident worrier has passed!

(just thought I'd embarrass her with that before she comes on here to post it herself) :biggrin

Congratulations Arro! :alc

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Arroryn

lol. Thanks Zeb :)

The drinks are on me for anyone that can make it to the centre of Birmingham in the next fifteen minutes :alc:slidedrin

I got a score of 783, and will post my miniature white knuckle ride when I've finished celebrating... so probably tomorrow :)

17. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Haha well done lady! :)

:alc

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  18. StewartC

StewartC Bit Poster

Congratulations:clap, I have enjoyed reading your blog it's been very informative.

Stewart

Certifications: BSc Hons Computing Science
    WIP: 70-270
  19. BosonMichael

Woohooo! Congrats! :)

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well Done:super

Congratulations on passing....Have a virtual beer on me...:alc:slidedrin:clap

[​IMG]

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+