MCDST Study Blog - 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Arroryn, Aug 10, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Puppy love is so cute. :wub

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You do realise that when Dawn sees this you will be soooo dead, don't you? :twisted::biggrin:twisted:

:pepsi :hang

3. BosonMichael

She can't help it that she has admirers fawning (and hugging :twisted:) all over her. :p

That said... you're probably right... :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nah, had another crappy day. For no particular reason this time, other than I feel crap.

So I'm trying to alleviate this by having Interview with the Vampire on in the background (in German) and reading 70-271 (so you can have another chapter update shortly :rolleyes: :p)

But coming back to a virtual hug and mild ego stroke from BM helps. lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

:dry

*sigh*....

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. GiddyG

Haw haw haw.... poor fella... BM stole your hug...

OMG! Does this mean.... DUN DUN DUN... keyboards at dawn? Pardon the pun... 8)

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Back on topic people! *cracks whip* :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. BosonMichael

I've already tried flaming pitchforks at Dawn, and that didn't work out too well for me... :brancard

9. GiddyG

Pssstt... you do realise the reason she is so quiet is that.... she is on her way over to get you again...

RUN MAN RUN!!!

10. BosonMichael

:ohmy oh crap.

11. Arroryn

Aaaah. The catch 22 of work experience being essential for certs, and my believing that my work experience is going to be great for the exam.

It's been so great, I've read hardly anything this week :dry

Worked 12 hours Monday and yesterday. My boss has given me half a day off today, so I'm going to go soon to swot for the afternoon (if I can get in the house, Martin has my keys...)

Then I have Saturday afternoon off (swotting), but am working 6am - 2pm Sunday. So if I can stay awake Sunday afternoon, that'll be another cram session. Then I'm working in London from Monday to Wednesday. Ack. I can take the MS Press book, but I won't be able to get my hands on a PC in the evening to practise practical stuff.

Next Friday is going to be very interesting...

12. Arroryn

Pah. The best laid plans of mice and men...

... work didn't calm down. Worked an hour more than I'd planned today (swapping a UPS on your own isn't fun, even when it's only a 1500).

Working in London three days this week, so up at the later-than-usual time of 6am tomorrow, but there isn't going to be much studying involved.

In summary: if I take the exam this Friday, I'll probably experience my first epic fail.

And whilst that's not necessarily a *terrible* thing to experience, I do think it's £88 up the swanny when I have been trying my damnest to study when and where I can.

I've got to the end of chapter 6 of the 271 book, and I have to say that, somewhat depressingly, my work experience has hardly prepared me at all for what Microsoft expect you to know for their exams.

Most of what is mentioned is for you to administer locally working users - I've only ever known domain support. But, you know, that necessarily isn't an issue. I don't have a problem with the functions of an XP machine in a workgroup.

But having done a mock test whilst conscious (today) and scoring a mere 53% I can state quite strongly that (as many other people already know) the questions in a Microsoft exam are verbose, convoluted and just... facking terrible!

I don't give a jack what company Jack works for... just give me the damned question already!! Arrrrggghhh!!

/crisisofconfidence

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If it's any help I found the MS Readiness Review Test harder than the actual test.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. BosonMichael

pssst... reschedule... it won't kill you to reschedule the exam... 8)

Then skim it, if you don't think that information is important. That said... the one time you skim, you're likely to miss something.

Good techs can quickly glean the required information, to the point that the extra information is really not a big deal. Have you ever considered that the reason Microsoft puts the extra information in there is to separate the "men" from the "boys"? Or the "women" from the "girls", in your case?

15. Arroryn

I've just got off the Prometric site. Earliest I could reschedule to (and get the time off work) was October 9 - so another 4 weeks of studying and I've got no excuses whatsoever (as that's when I was approximately hoping to get 272 slain by).

Thanks for the advice - Craigie, it is the readiness review, and it may well be easier than the actual exam... but there's a big ol' pool of questions, and I'm taking no chances (and no prisoners).

BM - I skim read by way of habit, possibly because of the amount of fiction I read. I try to slow myself down and read the questions thoroughly, but it's as if my brain has a self-destructive switch. It was the difference between As and A*s for me at GCSE... A Levels didn't matter so much as they were mainly essay based answers. I am trying to but I think the creative side of my brain basically does this when I read a question:

"garghthat'shorriblewhataretheydoingtoyourbrainstopreadingstopreadingthinkofsomethingelsethinkofsomethingelse........ ooh, a sparrow."

16. BosonMichael

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. :D

17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Have to agree with this Dawn, best to get the cert knowing the stuff rather than scraping the exam - at the end of the day, you may have a pass from the exam but are you any better off for rushing it?

Chill out for a period of time, collect your thougts and then plough on, it'll still be there in the future 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Arr hows the studying going? any updates for the blog here?

I'm managing about 1hour everyday (reading on teh WC, only place i get peace and quiet!!) and about 2 weeks left before i do mine (EXAM THAT IS!!! You dirty minded so and so's!!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  19. Arroryn

Quite a big update. Nearly finished writing it, going to put it up tomorrow (due to the gap in updates, it's a biggy. Get your specs on. lol)

20. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

I have also rescheduled. Just now in fact. I have found it really difficult to keep motivating myself when the exam is the only thing on my plate. Hopefully my Open University Visual Basic course and my impending house move to Bristol will help me focus on the exam - if that makes sense. Basically, procrastination expands to fill the time available!
    You will probably hear more from me in the days leading up to October 16, my new exam date.
    Regards
    Rick

WIP: 70-271