MCDST retirement date changed?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by DC Pr0Mo, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I already started preparing for 70-680 before I found out about longer retirement date for MCDST - so I don't want to turn back

what patch do you propose? which exams? I wouldn't bother about vista at all, it was never popular, I think win7 will be the most popular after xp

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do the the windows 7 exam and MCDST. I am not going to bother with Vista either.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Vista's still out there... and companies will need people to administer it. If you can get an employer to pay for it, I'd recommend knocking out the Vista exam.

Still, Vista is not that different from 7... and you don't really HAVE to certify on something to be able to administer it. If you can only afford one or the other, I can understand only going for Win7.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Outmyowl

Outmyowl Banned

if someone still needs 70-271, 70-272 books, I have them in .pdf. Also have example of test questions with answers (200 questions) from T****g. It helped a lot in preparation.
    Let me know if someone wants all that stuff, and Ill load it on some fileshare serv.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
    Certifications: MSDST
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Read the rules of the website mate.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/faq.php?faq=dont_break_law#faq_copyright1

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Thanks for cheating and de-valuating the certifications some of us work hard to earn!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  7. peat

peat Bit Poster

I am a bit confused now as well. I just went to book my 272 exam but was only allowed to book upto 19 march. :blink

8. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

thats the test centre, they only put up so many dates.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  9. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I ran into the same thing. I could only book up to 8 weeks in advance. You'll likely have to wait a couple of weeks depending on how far out you plan on taking the 272. Got my 271 scheduled for March 8th! Yeeeea boy!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  10. peat

peat Bit Poster

great thanks :)

11. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

A quick update on the dates for the MCDST:

Whilst browsing another forum today I came across a post stating the expiry date has not actually changed for the MCDST exam and that the June date is a discrepancy on the website.

According the the M.S Certification guidance team:

"I’m sorry, but there currently is a discrepancy on the website regarding the retirement date and unfortunately, we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011."

Here is a link to the thread: http://techexams.net/forums/mcdst/62467-confusion-about-mcdst-retirement-website-could-wrong.html

I don't want to alarm anyone unnecessarily but it may be best to get in touch with guidance team for your own peace of mind.

I've just tried to book one of the MCDST exams in for a pretend student account this morning in our test centre and it would not let me book either of the MCDST exams past the original March cut off date, so it may be legit.
    Other exams were fine to book past that date.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  12. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Stand down, false alarm. Just been off the phone, it's definately a June retirement date.

13. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If this was a "discrepancy" they would have changed it a while back. I'm sure these guys would not have kept this date on for so long with what could possibly be hundreds of people (if not thousands) going to get this cert before it runs out now that they have more time.

14. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

That's exactly what I was thinking, hence my follow up phone call.

15. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Stranger and stranger, after my phone call I have now received the following in my in box:

My E-mail to Microsoft Learning:

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:08 AM
    To: Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson)
    [Which best describes your query?] None of the above
    [Which country are you in?] UNITED KINGDOM
    Can you please clarify the expiry date for the MCDST examination:
    MCP - 70-271
    MCP - 70-272
    The previous published date for expiry was 31st March 2011 but the web page now shows the retire date to be 31st June 2011?
    Reports are suggesting this is a discrepancy on the site and that the original retirement date still stands can you please clarify Microsoft Learnings position on the expiry date, as per the website or as per original retirement date?

Thank you for your assistance.

Reply from Microsoft Learning:

Hello Billy,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.

I understand that you’re inquiring with regards to the retirement date of the MCDST exams.
    I’m sorry Billy, but there currently is a discrepancy on the website regarding the retirement date and unfortunately, we do not have a resolution at this time. Therefore, you will need to complete the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 before March 31, 2011.
    We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at [email protected], or visit our Microsoft Learning website.

Thank you,
    Marvin
    Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    [email protected]
    ..................................................................................................

The words arse and elbow spring to mind.

16. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Ok... I don't know how much experience you have with web pages, but it would take microsoft SECONDS to change the date on their exam page. It seems more likely that the person who replied to your email has outdated information. No offense to anyone who works at a call centre, but in my experience there's always a couple people there who don't know what they're talking about. This case in particular. If the website says June 30, and the person you spoke to says June 30, then I'd take the 2/3 and just keep studying for the MCDST. In the end, this date has been on their website for well over a month. In that time I'm sure they have had thousands of calls asking them to confirm the date change. After, oh I don't know... the thousandth call, they would most likely be changing the date back. It sounds like a case of many operators being misinformed and causing a huge stir.

17. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

Surely if microsoft got it wrong and it did expire in march there would be such a uproar that they just couldnt do it? Besides, Training providers are running mcdst courses in june so i wouldnt worry.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +
    WIP: MCTS: 70-640 - Active Directory Server 2008 , configuring.
  18. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Ok... Now I'm mad. I just got off the live chat with a microsoft rep... the following is the transcript... this is really unacceptable!

Microsoft Rep: Hello, I'm Jefferey with the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team. How can I assist you today?
    Microsoft Rep: Hi Cesar
    Me: Hi Jefferey
    Me: I have a question about the MCDST. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the retirement date due to a change on the website.
    Me: The website says June 30, and many people are still under the impression that it might still be March 30.
    Microsoft Rep: Okay
    Microsoft Rep: Let me check on that for you real quick Cesar
    Me: Thanks
    Microsoft Rep: Thank you for waiting. I can see here that the retirement date for the exams of MCDST is June 30, 2011
    Microsoft Rep: Some of the exams that will be retiring in March 30 is on Windows Server 2003
    Me: And out of curiosity where are you getting this information? Is it from the website or has this been confirmed through someone in your team?
    Me: I've seen some discussion online about some microsoft reps sending email responses to candidates saying that the date on the website is a "discrepancy".
    Me: As you can understand, I just want to make sure that this information is the most current.
    Microsoft Rep: That is very much understandable Cesar. The information that is from the website and also a collaboration of the updates in our team.
    Microsoft Rep: But just to be sure, let me check on that further for you.
    Me: Thank you.
    Microsoft Rep: You are most welcome. We understand that getting a certification is a big step and we would like to give you all the help you need.
    Microsoft Rep: One moment please.
    Microsoft Rep: Thank you for waiting
    Me: No problem
    Microsoft Rep: I have collaborated with my team on this matter and it indeed appears that there are conflicting information about the retirement date for this certification
    Microsoft Rep: This matter has already been escalated at this moment. However, I received word that the retirement may have indeed been pushed towards March 31
    Me: Do you mean pushed beyond March 31st?
    Me: As you can understand there are many candidates (myself included) that have only begun the MCDST track because of the extra time that the website is claiming.
    Microsoft Rep: Let me clarify that further. The retirement date appears to be set on March 31, 2011 right now.
    Me: So why has the website not been corrected?
    Me: It's been up there for over a month now.
    Microsoft Rep: Indeed. This is why we are trying to investigate this matter further. As of this time the matter has been escalated in order to further resolve the discrepancy
    Me: So how will I find out what the resolution is?
    Microsoft Rep: Things should be clarified pretty soon, but just the same, let also ask of your email address so we ac further update you on this matter

So it looks like there is some huge confusion over at MS about this, and after a month of this date being on their website it's still being resolved. I'll let you guys know if I receive anything, but it does look like something is definitely dodgy with this. They have my contact info, so I should hopefully be hearing from them soon. I'm going to call my testing centre later to see what they have heard about this. I will say one thing, if this was an error, I personally feel they should honor the date. It's one thing if the error was up for an hour, or even a day or two. This date has been up for over a MONTH. This will affect too many people for a simple "i'm sorry" to resolve the matter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you think Microsoft is lost, I can guarantee you that the testing center isn't gonna know more than Microsoft. It's Microsoft's program and Microsoft's exams; all the center does is deliver them.

I can almost guarantee you that whatever call rep you ended up with has outdated information. The date used to be March 31, and that date got moved to June 30. It makes no sense for them to move it back yet again.

If the site says June 30, I'd count on June 30. Surely some random person at a (likely outsourced) call center company doesn't have more up-to-date info than the Web site and numerous MCP newsletter e-mail blasts that have been sent recently...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Thanks for that, BM. My faith was shaken, so to speak, but the whole thing has seemed to me like misinformation since the date has been up for such a long time. I'm just gonna plug away at studying for my 271 and 272 as per the plan. I can't imagine they would be this out of whack if this was the MCSA or another higher level cert.