MCDST more 'useful' than Comptia certs in the sense that...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

...someone working for an employment agency, who's not that clued up about IT, will more likely have heard of Microsoft?

Or if a CV's scanned electronically then the word 'Microsoft' and/or the initials 'MCP' will more likely be 'picked up'?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

possibly
    who knows?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they're "not that clued up about IT", how effective will they be in getting you an IT job?? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm no recruitment consultant but in the UK I think MCP is better known than A+ or N+ probably as you say because of the prevalence of Microsoft products in the IT industry

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

If the employer is actually active within the IT community be it online or industry wise then he'll probably know both but i've always viewed the MCDST as above the A+ just because the topics it covers are harder than those of the A+ to me but thats just opinion.

WIP: A+
  7. RonDon11

RonDon11 New Member

It's the recruiter's job to know what's relevant to the position they are interviewing for. 5 minutes on google will tell you that A+/Net+/Sec+ > MCDST

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I support numerous recruitment agencies, with some being in IT.

All of them use CV scanners, due to the shear number of applications they recieve. These pick out keywords, then they filter the rest of the CV's manually.

Most recruiters know what an MCP is, do they know what an A+ or Network + is, most likely not.

To back this up, my old employeer, I asked all of the Team Leaders (3 of them) if they knew about CompTIA A+, all of them said no.

I'm not saying that the A+ and N+ are irrelevant, as they are not. They are just not widely known.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Just to be a t0sser, I have to say, that in all my experience, most clueless IT 'Support' Managers (a lot of them are just that) seem to worship the almighty and all powerful A+!!! That is just what I've noticed of course!

However, the A+ was a great cert in my opinion...yes the exam was a bit of a let down with it's one sentence questions BUT I learnt a hell of a lot from the Myers book!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I would have to echo the comments of Mr. Dude here. Possibly because I work mainly with hardware at the moment (doing warranty desktop and printer repairs for HP). In this job, the A+ is golden. I guess it all depends on what you are looking to apply for. Having said that, I am not sure that many recruiters know what the MCDST is either; the only advantage it seems to have is the word Microsoft that will pop up on the scanners.

I guess in that case, if you have the A+ and the Network+ you could be cheeky and put something like "Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) 2003 Elective (CompTIA A+ and Network+)" just to make sure you get as many scanner-friendly buzzwords into your CV as possible :twisted:

Just my 2p...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc