MCDST MCITP Upgrade 70-621 advice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by russ-t-2000, Jul 12, 2008.

1. russ-t-2000

russ-t-2000 Bit Poster

Been looking into taking this path forward now,and i`m almost clear as to how it will work.:blink

I take it if you already have MCDST you can take one exam-70-621 and the MCDST is upgraded to MCITP,which is basically the same as the 70-620 MCTS Configuring Windows Vista Client exam.

Am i right in assuming that if you don`t have MCDST you would need to take 2 exams to get the MCTS,and you wouldn`t also be MCITP,simply MCTS.Also does this mean if you pass on the upgrade path you would be MCTS and MCITP also??

Could anyone who is currently taking this exam or has taken it,please let me know.Also is the only course material available that for the 620,as i cant find anything 621 specific.

Apologies if the above seems over complicated,and thanks in advance!

Certifications: MCP MCDST
    WIP: 70-261 MCITP or could be 70-620 !!!
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I looked at upgrading my MCDST to the MCITP by taking one exam only.

However, the 70-621 exam covers both 70-620 and 70-622, so you need to know both backwards for the 70-621.

Therefore, you would probably need to buy both books and study them before attempting the 70-621.

My knowledge of Vista is not great (having only started using it two or so weeks ago) and I'm gunning for the MCSA, which means only the 70-620 is required as the Client exam.

So I decided against reading two books for one exam, and went down the line of least resistance.

Also, by passing any of the new exams you become an MCTS, in the same way that passing any of the older exams makes you a MCP.

Hope that explains it a little.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. russ-t-2000

russ-t-2000 Bit Poster

Thats great mate,its clearer now,thanks for taking the time to reply!

I`m in the same boat vista wise,tried it,didn`t like it much[partly due to having an older system that only rated 3.5 for useability with vista i might add]and simply stuck with good old XP.

Also worth adding that after doing the MCDST course and seeing how amazing XP really is,is there really any credible reason for upgrading to Vista,i`m hard pushed to find one,and the direct X 10 thing for me isn`t enough alone!! anyway,thats getting off topic really.

I`m now not totally sure whether the MCDST upgrade path is the way to go,or the 70-620 like you are doing to be honest!!

I`ll stick vista back on[against my better judgement]and decide over the next couple of days.

Thanks once again for your help here,if anyone else would like to add anything i`m looking for more opinions on which is the best route here!!

TIA

Certifications: MCP MCDST
    WIP: 70-261 MCITP or could be 70-620 !!!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am also considering doing the upgrade, but I can't sit my self down and study as I have way to many things on my plate at the moment.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA