MCDBA Advice required please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Luke Garbett, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Hi all

I am thinking (i use that term loosely as i have already decicded) to embark on a new career path of Database Administrator.

I have found the MCDBA course of which i am VERY interested in and am pretty set on studying.

I was hoping that maybe some of you could recommend who to undertake the course with?

I would like to do it as a self study (not sure if its avaiable any other way to be honest) and i know it will more than likely cost a fair bob or two, but thats no problem as it will be worth it for gaining the knowledge and understanding of all aspects relating to DBA.

So if you could recommend whom to renrole with if you like, i would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: BTEC Nat. Dip. in ICT Systems Support
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I haven't checked out the MCDBA cert before, but I am familiar with self studying and training providers.

You say in your post, that you want to do the self study route, but then ask who to enrol with... do you know which one you want to do? Enrolling with a college isn't exactly what people see as self studying. With the self study route, which a lot of the members here do, you buy the books and sit in a darkened room studying them. After enough of the study, you emerge from the darkness with a hump, a lisp, claws, and hopefully enough knowledge to attempt an exam.

Here's the requirements

Here's a list of books on Amazon

If you have a spare machine, the time and the effort, self studying will always be cheaper.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Wotcha mate :)
    Mind if I ask what prior experience you have?
    I'm half way through the MCDBA with Computeach but it isn't easy if you're not using databases on a daily basis!

IMO most training providers are overpriced but I suppose it depends on how much you use the facilities they offer (I only ever have contact with Computeach when I sit exams, but they do offer email & forum-based help/tutoring if you want to use it).

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey bud - as a SQL Server DBA in a past life (18 months' hard labour) I can safely say that it is hard, boring and, although financially rewarding, can be extremely stressful. I quit in disgust after the dullest 18 months of my life, moved into Security and haven't looked back since :biggrin

Now I know that doesn't sound like too glowing a recommendation for someone looking to start out as a DBA, but I'm not trying to put you off - honest! Studying for the two SQL certs (2000 when I did it) was a soul-destroying process. I studied full-time (and I MEAN full-time - probably eight hours a day on average) for six months to pass them. When i started out I loved the idea of being a DBA, but once I'd passed the exams and was working as one, I realised it wasn't for me pretty quickly.

If you are dead set on doing the MCBDA, just remember you will need to pass at least two more exams other than the SQL ones. This fact is often 'glossed over' by sales reps - so make sure you brush up on the requirements here before deciding to take the plunge.

Also, you should be aware that I had plenty of industry experience as a Sys & Network Admin prior to doing my MCDBA, so was lucky enough to be in a position of having industry experience as well as the cert to back me up when I went into DBA work. Without industry experience, no-one will take you on as a DBA - so, if you're just starting out, i would advise you to start a bit smaller than the MCDBA - try the MCDST and get a 2nd line role for a couple of years' experience before tackling something like the MCDBA. With the best will in the world, you are extremely unlikely to get a job as a production DBA without prior industry experience anyway.

Hope this hasn't put you off too much! As I said earlier, I got bored with being a DBA really quickly - but that might just be me!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth and Wisdom.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Most the experience i have is from what i have been doin at home. I have a BTEC in ICT but they hardly even touched databases with no SQL in it at all.

I did however get 6 months experience working for an ISP s year or two ago where SQL was a large part of the job so hopefully that will come in handy, plus I use some SQL in some ASP pages i have created recently (however only minor snippets to be fair).

How much is the course with computeach if you dont mind my asking?

Aslo when i said self study befoee i meant one of them online course htings such as computeach, sorry if the way i worded it was misleading to some.

Certifications: BTEC Nat. Dip. in ICT Systems Support