MCAD WITH THE TRAINING CAMP

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by LOUIE, Jun 10, 2005.

1. LOUIE

LOUIE New Member

Hi everbody,

I'm an IT professional with 4 years plus experience of classic ASP and am thinking of doing an MCAD with the Training Camp - not sure if doing it in seven days is too much of a big step. Anyone done anything similar? Or anyone with any experience of MCADs at the Training Camp

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCAD
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Louie.
    I've not heard of them.
    I went straight into MCSD for .NET with no previous experience and picked up ASP.NET to a reasonable level of proficiency in about 2-3 months. If you've got some VB6 experience behind you, I would have thought that you would have found it much easier.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

Hi Louie.
    did you ever do this course? I'm thinking of doing the same thing as I never have time either at home or work for concerted studying. I have been trying to find out about The Training Camp but have not been able to find much information (other than that provided by them) on the web.
    They are certainly good at marketing as there are links to them and articles about them (none of which assess the worth of their courses sadly) but I don't know about how viable an approach it is to taking the exams.
    I found one entry on someones blog that indicated that it is extremely hard work - 12 hour days followed by a lot of reading and exams on days 3, 5 and 7.
    It sounds very hard going. I have never taken a certification exam before and find the prospect extremely daunting but I am at the end of my tether as I have been set targets at work to pass these exams but just don't have the time to do it. My view is that if I can pass 2 out of the 3 in this way it would be a success.
    If you did do the course with Training Camp I would be very interested to hear how you got on.

cheers

Certifications: MCAD
    WIP: MCSD
  4. mflerin

mflerin New Member

I did the MCAD with training camp having never done any of the microsoft certifications beforehand. I have to say from my experience they are excellent. My instructor was Doug Rees and he really knew his stuff but was also able to communicate his knowledge extremely well (which is the most important thing).

The setup there is excellent with everything you need onsite. The class size was about 14 people with a 50/50 split between C# and vb.net. Therefore the examples were sometimes shown in C# and sometimes in vb.net. Don't let that put you off.

I think only one person didn't pass all three of the exams (I think he got 2 passed).

Be prepared to be in class from 8:30 until about 7:30 and then read for at least 3 hours on an evening. It's hard work but it's only 7 days. You can't really expect to pass something like that without putting a lot of effort in.

The only other advice I can give is barter with them on price. When I got there everybody seemed to have paid something different for the course (with me being at the top end of the range!).

Certifications: MCAD
    WIP: MCPD