MCAD/MCSD

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MissDiane, Oct 13, 2004.

1. MissDiane

MissDiane New Member

Hi All
    Thinking about signing up for the MCAD or MCSD, probably with NITLC. Has anyone any experiences they care to pass on about these courses (with or without NITLC)?
    Completed a part-time degree in Computing in 2003 so I can get exemptions from the earlier modules.
    Any tales you can tell will be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Welcome MissDiane, nice to see a female here, it's all jock straps, and tattoo's of eagles:hahaha Just joking!!

I can't help you on the course info unfortunately, all I came to say is welcome, and hope you stick around. Plenty of knowledge floating around here usually.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  3. MissDiane

MissDiane New Member

Thanks Christof

Haven't got any tattoos & don't wear a jockstrap (well not very often anyway!).
    I intend to stick around for a while - who knows, I might even learn something!

4. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I don't know whether to be scared or excited!

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  5. MissDiane

MissDiane New Member

:twisted: !!!!????!!!!

6. Mark Spooner

Mark Spooner New Member

Hi MissDiane, Iam currently on a NITLC MCAD VB.NET course and I can recommend them highly by all accounts they have a 97% success rate in getting people through the qualification and into work....I'm hoping this is correct myself, if you need any more info dont hesitate to contact me. :D

Certifications: ACITP VB6, OCR 103, OCR 102
    WIP: MCAD VB.NET
  7. gillyc

gillyc New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I spoke to a salesperson about 6 months ago, and said 'no' at the time, partly because he said it wasn't possible to exempt me from any of the earlier modules, despite my degree. Did they tell you you could get exemptions?
    I just joined, so hello everyone!

gill

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

How do you guys' mean "earlier modules" ? If you mean the "in-house" stuff they include prior to the actual exam materials(if it's the same or similar to when I was with them), then I think its safe to assume you are not obliged to work through this - if you are confident enough with the subject material, then go straight ahead with the certs.

After all, it's your ca$$$h - you tell them when you want to sit the exam.

EDIT: Sorry I've just noticed you were referring to a different course from the T&SE course I was on - but I would imagine the principal is the same. :oops:

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. gillyc

gillyc New Member

Yes, I do mean the in-house stuff.
    According to the salesman, I'm obliged to pay for it, whether I work through it or not! And I really don't think I need to do the 'Introduction to computers' bit. Or a few others...
    I was told the course came as a whole, no picking and choosing which modules I wanted to do. (Or pay for.) It was the main reason I decided not to go for it, but OTOH I don't really want to go the home-study route, and NITLC has the best reputation as far as I can tell.

gill

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I guess if you look at the bigger picture, it's a fair price to pay for some industry-recognised qualifications. But at the end of the day, only you can decide.

lol ... Yup - thats the same stuff I had to do too - IMHO, you can just ignore this and jump straight in - you can always refer back to it if need be.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. gillyc

gillyc New Member

Hi Diane, and everyone,

Did you decide whether to go for it?
    Can you tell us more about the exemptions?

I'm waiting for a phonecall from the salesperson, but this time I'm 99% certain I'm going to do it. (Thanks, guys, you talked me into it!) But I've also noticed that for another £500 I can do their 'Learning for Life' option -- access to all courses for two years. Decisions, decisions...

gill

12. michael0612

michael0612 New Member

Hello All,

I'm on the verge of signing up with NITLC to do MCAD. So far I've seen the "course adviser" (read "salesman") and he forgot to tell me a few details I've just learned. I need:-
    1) 2 networked pcs, client and server
    2) Windows server software (NT4 or 2000)
    3) Visual basic.net software

He offered me the Learning 4 life package (unlimited training for 2 years) at £3864. The Applications Programming brochure offers MCAD (recommended 2 year course) for £2850. In the light of this, the extra £1014 seems a fair hike.

I'm still favouring NITLC, but it would be nice to start a relationship without having to worry about where the next banana skin is coming from.

Those are my caveats to date. Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Good Luck, fellow MCADers (wasn't he Blackadder's Scottish cousin in the 3rd series?)

Michael

Certifications: Birth
    WIP: MCP, MCAD, Retirement
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

be worth clarifying with them if students are then qualified as students under microsofts licensing terms, as a copy of VS.net will set you back a grand or so if you cant get the student license, (at least it did last time I had to sign an PO for one, hehe), the student copys a 100 quid or so, maybe less now, maybe more

2 years sounds like a long time, and to be honest, with that time frame, you may be better off going the BSc Computer Science route, it will be cheaper, is recognised worldwide as superior to most tech certs (in the programming field) and will set you up in the right position to further your programming skills over time

Programming is one thing I do recommend degrees in, the content is pretty static, and the methodology of a higher education is an important process in becomming a good programmer

that is an option you may want to consider

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

Im doing my MCAD with Computeach only im doing it with C#.net rather than VB.net, the whole lot cost me £4200.

That included 2 years training, supported by in center visits. And also job finding support and training including mock interviews and help creating a cv which lasts forever until i ask them to stop finding me jobs.

Ive just reached stage 3 which starts me off on the C#.net path programming console applications. For this i recieved a copy of Visual Studio.net2003 professional, the only downside been that after my course finishs i have to remove it from my pc and send it back. They send you a licence agreement before sending you the software that states you have to send it back and also that you cannot use it for commercial use or to make profit.

I havent heard about the need for 2 networked pc`s, but if it comes down to it i have a rack in my attic with 4 pc`s in it all networked so i should be safe.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  15. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

just to add, if you look on Amazon you can buy a copy of Vs.net2003 starting from £480 used, not cheap but better than paying full price for it.

Stu_C

16. Orzek

Orzek New Member

I signed up for the learning 4 life course with NITLC with the intent to do the MCAD route. Do you really need to buy the full vs.net2003 package? Why not the standard version or even the express version which is free to download?

17. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

The Pro package contains extra tools for debugging and the express version is still Beta.
    You will also find that all your course material is based arounf the full pro version.

Stu_C

18. CarlosTSG

CarlosTSG Bit Poster

Hi Stu_C,

Can I ask you, how are you finding the MCAD course? If you've already said on here, then my apologies for asking again.

I just had the Computeach guy around for a chat and he quoted me £4,700 for the MCAD :cry: Thats £500 more expensive than yours :cry: Anway I still haven't decided to go with Compu or NITLC yet. I'm still waiting NITLC to get back to me for a meeting. They taking their time a bit :rolleyes: I would perfer to go with NITLC, as they are nearer to me than Compu, in terms of the 14 day in-centre training sessions.

And also, I would thought that NITLC at least give you some software to play with? Compu gets 1 brownie point for that.

Carl.

WIP: MCAD
  19. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

At the moment ive just started the C# stuff(stage3), and its just boring console apps.stage 4 is supposed to be the interesting part Windows apps, then stage 5 which is web apps.

Mine was only £4200 as im not doing the 70.320 exam with computeach, after i finish my stage 5 i get the stage 6 material but no support and i have to enter myself into an exam. Stage 6 is the XML part which completes the MCAD. Im still debating paying the extra £500 at the end of my stage 5 and doing it with them though.

Im finding the material great to work with, its just some of the questions for the exercises that arnt clear what they want you to do, but now they have sorted out a regular chat session with the tutors its simple to sort out any misunderstandings.

I cant tell you which is better from computeach or NITLC, so its down to you.

whatever you decide i will try to help you out whenever i can should you get stuck.

Stu_C

20. CarlosTSG

CarlosTSG Bit Poster

Well, I've finally did it. I've just signed my life off (well maybe not) to some serious head scratching. Btw I'm now with Computeach doing the MCAD, ooohhh I can't wait :biggrin

WIP: MCAD