MaybeTraining

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Luckychip, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Luckychip

Luckychip New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and came across your forum after searching for training in compTIA-A+ up to MCSE - phew slightly overwhelming prospect I've half talked myself into attempting.:blink

I'm no spring chicken and the brain takes longer to absorb strings of thoughts so I could do with avoiding poor study materials which consume all your best neurons for little in return.:cussing

Materials seem to vary and I'm the sort who feels better when all obstacles are removed in a learning process. That is to say I respond, as I'm sure most do, to available self help, supportive interactive help and better still human assistance when problems arise. I 'm sure we're all aware of study materials which pose too many dead ends which leave you frustrated and wondering where to look for answers.:dunce

Have any of you felt a study provider or an interactive course makes learning this material a pleasure? :biggrinAnd are 2008/9 materials that different from 2007? (I ask this because some study packs seem freely available on e-bay and I wondered how outdated some may be)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Luckychip.

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome!

You don't say if you have any experience of IT in your opening post, but I'll assume that you are changing career for the purposes of my reply.

I would strongly suggest starting off with the CompTIA A+ and leave the likes of MCSE for later.

The majority of people on CF would recommend self-study as a good method for studying A+, using the Mike Meyers All In One A+ Certification Exam Guide 6th Edition and the James Pyles PC Technician StreetSmarts book.

Access to a PC you can take apart and put back together again is always useful too.

Also, take a peek at the CompTIA site for more info on the A+ objectives.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Be careful of those study packs on eBay... most of them illegally offer copyrighted material and/or braindumps.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Luckychip

Luckychip New Member

Thank you for your informed advice!

Career change? An multi-enforced limbo for the best part of a decade maybe a better description but that's all in the game of life ime.

I took a peek at both books recommended here via an on-line book store which lets you preview some of the material. It certainly is no walk in the park.:confused3 But thank you for your prompt and incisive responses- exactly the advice I needed!:p

I'm unsure I am able to embrace such an immensity of jargon and ever evolving mass of techno speak rubber stamping itself as THE language of the distillation of all that is intentionally evolved as an attempt at everlasting consumerism - and I'm talking after perusing simply the A+ stuff now. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but the memory of an imagined worldwide populations billions of hours spent waiting for 'Windows' to open always takes me back to those childhood voids of everyone waiting for the bus that never arrived.:joker

Every time I scrape beneath the surface of all that is windows I see Black Gates!:microwave

Will I ever not??:hang

I do however think it's excellent advice to invest in the materials you recommend and test the water on oneself to explore the avenue of an IT career. Its an area which, by default guarantees further problems for users :(and hence engineers and technicians will be in demand.

And for any prospective student, its a far superior gamble to do this your way and maybe lose £40 than to sign up for a course costing thousands which proves unsustainable and ultimately leaves them with major debts in the face of any future studies they may have liked to attempt.

So - If I'm able to I will but I already have this feeling that I just won't be capable, for reasons of social ill-logic amidst that of all the techno stuff. However all my bridges have long appeared burned and so here's hoping this unexpected venture holds out a light arising beyond a welcome surprise or two for me .....:angel

5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Has someone been on the sherry?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Luckychip

Luckychip New Member

Thanks for your welcome.

I've ordered around £60 of materials on A+ and some after finding recommendations here. I will be looking through as soon as they arrive.

I'll decide then whether I'm up to it or not.

This forum seems to have its fair share of cool thinkers - to the point and quick to help. Like me really, but like I said elsewhere reams of jargon has a negative effect on me so I'll either swim or go overboard and give a free wad of A+ training to a local.

You may have 'hunched' that I'm at the end game of exploring options at this minute - options without too many alternatives!

But again thank you for the advise here - it's very useful for getting a rapid perspective.

And I wish all of you as much fun as possible in the Christmas period.:beers2

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well you seem to have the right attitude so you should be fine.

Good luck with your studies

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal